What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unfinished 105 H projectile??

hicky1300

IMG_0904.jpgIMG_0903.jpg
Hi All
Bit of help needed!
Picked up two unfired shells on Sunday.
Diameter is 105mm & 385mm tall
I think they are unfinished 105mm HE or HESH shells or pssibly base ejecting smoke?
Not sure though as they have no markings & the two drive bands & lack of `boat tail` is throwing me.
There is plenty of material inside at the base for a thread for a fuze then it goes to a much thineer wall inside after about 75mm

Hum, very strange on first view !

The driving bands are very similar to the driving bands of the german MWM or SWM (WW 1).
Should it not be possible, 106 mm HEP of recoiless gun ?

Yoda

Thanks Yoda
I have measured it again & definitely 105mm & at 385mm tall it is too short, according to the projectile specs for a HEP projectile (15.9 inches). Also these only have one drive band
By their condition they appear to have been lying around as there is all over rust but not penetrating - so hard to judge age
They were with other WWI and older shells - but that may not mean anything?
I take it looking at the drive bands the marks are from crimping or swagging them on & then these would be turned down to the correct size & profile?

Last edited:
Try WP. I put these WP and Practice) at about 392mm, but that is a rough measurement.

DSC_7171.jpgDSC_7172.jpg

Cheers for that pedro.
I did think they were HESH but I couldnt find anything.
Now to see if I have a case!!

The proper mounting method for the projectile in the case, is for the bottom rotating band to be inside the case, and the case mouth is crimped between the bands, leaving one band outside the case. Since your bands haven't been finished, they are a much greater diameter that the case mouth and will most likely not fit the band into the case.