What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified 25 Pdr? Front Part of Shell

Tranter

DSCN0467[1].jpgDSCN0468[1].jpgDSCN0469[1].jpgDSCN0470[1].jpgDSCN0471[1].jpgDSCN0472[1].jpg

Hi All,

Can anyone identify what this shell actually is? This is a dug up find by someone, but I don't know where it was found. When I got it it was as dug, with a 211 fuze fitted (now restored except for the cone. It can't be from a smoke or starshell as they're just one lump as was the HE (and it wouldn't have a 211 fuze fitted anyway). The fuze is dated 12/40, so is a fairly early wartime example. Could it be either for chemical (thought they used a smoke body) or for a propaganda/leaflet shell. I'm sure that this will be a really easy question to answer, but I have no clue! Any assistance gratefully received!

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

What you have is almost certainly the top of a 25pr smoke projectile. The number 221 fuze was used with both smoke and chemical projectiles. See sectioned example below.

S4200135.jpg

Thanks Burney,

Appreciate your help. I'd always assumed (wrongly) that the smoke was a single piece. your photo shows exactly what I've got so many thanks! I've looked at several pictures of smokes in the past and it's never registered that the thing was in two parts - something to store away in the memory for future use!

Best Regards

Steve

Hello Steve,
For your info I find three different design versions of 25 Pr Smoke BE shell. All are fitted with the No 221 fuze and date from 1938 to 1943. The version that you show is of the type that has a steel adapter that screws into the body of the shell. The adapter allowed the shell to be fitted with the 2 inch fuze hole guage to accept the fuze. I don't know all the whys and wherefores but as I say, I find three different designs. Some of the No 221 fuzes are fitted with a Mazac magazine base plate that is by now for the most part rotted, falling to pieces. Others have a brass magazine base plate.
Regards from Matthew

Here are some I found earlier that illustrate the three designs:
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/86976-Expended-25-Pr-smoke-base-ejection-shell

Last edited: