What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified 57mm Projectile

Vasco Da Gama

I have had the pictured projectile for some time and would appreciate the views of the community on which gun it may have been made for. Dimensions are diameter at base 54.84mm, diameter at driving band 57.7mm and length 188mm. Length below the driving band is 34.9mm and diameter of the pocket for the base fuse is 16.23mm. The projectile appears to have been fired as there are rifling marks on the driving band. The driving band is not copper but a metal closer to brass in colour, width of driving band is 19mm and the construction is 3 raised areas with 2 deep groves.20120223 013.jpg20120223 012.jpg20120223 011.jpg20120223 010.jpg No markings or paint remain on the projectile, glad to have all opinions.

My guess would be 6pr Hotchkiss Russian but would have expected markings and a crimping groove, but as I'm no expert it is a guess.

the driving band doesn't look fired to me - it looks home made:

-it seems to be brass
-the grooves are to wide
-the rifling normally displaces some material which is not visible here

It could be American, this one was a lamp at some time, but the ribbed band is intact.

Attachments

• pix837220895.jpg
    pix837220895.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 51
I have seen quite a number of Russian Hotchkiss, Nordenfeldt and Canet shells but never without at least some stamped markings. Also the base thread looks untypical to Russian, but there is very little information about variations though.
Both copper and brass driving bands were used in smaller rounds but in this size rather copper.