What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Projectile

Investment

Hello,
Could someone please help to identify the Aust/British WW2 projectile in the pictures attached. The overall length from top of the fuze adaptor to the bottom of the base is 265mm (26.5cm). And the measurement across the base is 75mm (7.5cm). I would greatly appreciate any help given from members.
Many thanks,
Invest

Attachments

• Unidentified Projectile (1).jpg
    Unidentified Projectile (1).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Unidentified Projectile (2).jpg
    Unidentified Projectile (2).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 89
Looks like an American 75mm

The double groove below the band is very American as is the rotating band style. What is in it ?

Hello Gspragge,
I didn't even think that it may be of American origin. I have no idea what's inside, as pictures sent to me via EOD contact, as their stumped on identification.
Cheers,
Invest

i'm allmost sure its a french 75mm mod. 231
not sure about the filling, most always HE (melinit), but might be possible with gasses ( not sure )

Attachments

• french 75mm.jpg
    french 75mm.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 60
  • french 75mm (1).jpg
    french 75mm (1).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 29
  • french 75mm (2).jpg
    french 75mm (2).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
i'm allmost sure its a french 75mm mod. 231
not sure about the filling, most always HE (melinit), but might be possible with gasses ( not sure )

I agree with 3in. I'm betting its an American 75mm HE shell, but I would exercise chemical precautions until proven otherwise. Have a look at "Munitions Specification Report" and "AEF 1475, Gas Manual". I don't recall if the Americans stored chemical munitions in Australia during WW2, but I wouldn't put it past them. One of these bit a USAF EOD crew in Delaware a couple years ago, although that was mostly due to stupidity on their part.

Or I could be completely wrong. :eek:

Yes the Americans did store different types of chemical weapons here in their tens of thousands. Many thanks guys for your help. I'll pass this information on.

Last edited:
I agree this is an american projectile. But I believe it is a HE projo, only HE projectiles have a base plate, this is done fore when there cracks in the bottom the high explosive in rhe shell can be set of by the proppeling gasses when fired. With wp and gas shells this is'nt neccesary, also the wp and gas shells, which are the same design have a other booster pocket. Atached some pics which shows tehese differences. Also note that these shells have two crimpes to attache the case.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 34
  • MkII copy.jpg
    MkII copy.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 22
I agree this is an american projectile. But I believe it is a HE projo, only HE projectiles have a base plate, this is done fore when there cracks in the bottom the high explosive in rhe shell can be set of by the proppeling gasses when fired. With wp and gas shells this is'nt neccesary, also the wp and gas shells, which are the same design have a other booster pocket. Atached some pics which shows tehese differences. Also note that these shells have two crimpes to attache the case.

Couple of pages from TM 9-1904, Ammunition Inspection Guide, with info on both Mk 1 HE and Mk 2 Chemical. Blu97's note on the baseplate and the presence of what appears to be a Mk 3 adapter in the nose support the HE argument. TM 9-1904 does not mention if the markings on the adapter are stamped in though.

Or I could be completely wrong :eek:

Attachments

• projoID1_Page_1.jpg
    projoID1_Page_1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
  • projoID1_Page_2.jpg
    projoID1_Page_2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 37
  • projoID1_Page_3.jpg
    projoID1_Page_3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi,
Many thanks to all members who provided help in identifying the projectile.
Your comments and diagrams have been passed on to those in the field.
Cheers,
Invest
:top:

Last edited:
Proj. ID

Howdy Invest,

The fuze thread, is it LH or RH, it is a bit hard to tell from pics?

Is there any stampings what so ever either on the proj. body just above d/band or on d/band itself?

Regards,

Ozzi.

Hello Ozzi,
Good question. There are some stampings above the band, but unfortunately I cannot make them out from the photo I received. I have mention this to EOD.
Cheers,
Invest