What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Tail Fin ?

Investment

Hello

Could someone please help to identify this tail fin ?

It measures 1 metre from the top of the tail fin to the floor.

From what time period was it in service - 1960's, 70's, 80's 90's ?

I'm also interested in knowing what type of bombs were used with this type of tail fin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Invest

Attachments

• Unidentified Tail Fin (3).jpg
    Unidentified Tail Fin (3).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Unidentified Tail Fin (2).jpg
    Unidentified Tail Fin (2).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Unidentified Tail Fin (1).jpg
    Unidentified Tail Fin (1).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi ,

Looks like the type they used on Canberra bombers , UK pattern, 500/1000lb, 1960's-70's.
Don't think i've got much specific info ,but if i find a pic as loaded on an aircraft i'll post.

cheers,
Bob

more Here

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/77871-Interesting

114 Tail Units

Hello

Could someone please help to identify this tail fin ?

It measures 1 metre from the top of the tail fin to the floor.

From what time period was it in service - 1960's, 70's, 80's 90's ?

I'm also interested in knowing what type of bombs were used with this type of tail fin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Invest

Hi Jason!

What is the measurement across diagonal fins? If it's about 18-20 inches it was used on British 1000lb bombs: if it's quite a bit smaller (can't think of the measurement at the moment!) it was used on 500lber's. The 1000lb size Tail Unit (note the correct British nomenclature!! - i.e not tail fin!!!) used inthe 1950-60s on Canberras and the V-bombers was the No. 107. It should have the number painted on the inside surface of the cone. The No 114 that jayteepee is talking about is the modern version for high speed external carriage.

Best wishes

Dave aka eodda

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for pointing out the difference between the 1000 lb and 500 lb tail units, made it a whole lot easier to workout.

The measurement is close to 14 inches (35.5cm) across the diagonal fins, so the one I have would be a 500 lb tail unit.

Best regards,

Jason