What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 1" Cartridge

flare

Hi all

i hope anyone can help me. I have a (delab) 1" cartridge. For what is this?

Regards Horst
bogen1 003.jpg

bogen1 005.jpg

bogen1 004.jpg

it could be a cartridge from a weapons pylon a eru explosive release unit

This is some sort of "Cartridge Actuated Device" cartridge. These are fitted to aircraft to propel bombs, missiles etc. away from the airframe. There are also thousands of other functions that these can perform, so what it does I cannot say. For example the ejectable cockpit pod on the F-111 bomber has over 100 of these devices on, which all perfom different functions.

CERU's Electric

CERU's "Cartridge Electric Release Unit" are usually of electric initiation, bearing two electric primers for assurance of ejection from the wing pylon etc.

One of the usual CERU's is a converted 30mm ADEN case (cut down to about 400mm length) with two standard electric primers side by side on the base instead of the customary one in the centre.
These obviously have to be produced to the very highest of standards and due to the restricions on aircraft any percussion items are usually not favoured.
I think you may be looking at an application that is not related to anything as critical as a bomb ejection unit.
Interesting item though!