What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 120MM Belgium Shrapnel

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Listed from Belgium ...

Dia: 120MM
Length: 302MM

From around 1914 / The base is interesting to me on this one ...

Any ideas?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-SM-130-8.JPG
    ICE-SM-130-8.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 164
  • ICE-SM-130-11.JPG
    ICE-SM-130-11.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 162
  • ICE-SM-130-15.jpg
    ICE-SM-130-15.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 120
  • ICE-SM-130-20.jpg
    ICE-SM-130-20.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 104
Thought I would bring this one around again ... see if someone might know anything.

Joe

It is original a French projectile, the 120 mm mitraille mle 1877

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk

Hello,

Sorry but shell of Joe is very different of the shell showed by Kefkek10.
Really not the same shape and lower band on the French shell (I know it as mle 1887 and no 1877). For sure a 120mm "Mitraille" but not this one.

Regards

To add to the conversation, it was most likely considered a High Explosive Shrapnel. The cavity in the ogive is for the explosive filler.

These cylindrical schrappnels and the explosive cavity let think to a belgian Delattre projectile, but I know only a 75mm of it !

Yoda

hello,
Internal arrangemente is of french origin, with no doubt an "obus a mitraille", as minenaz16 says.

I have a nice book, "L'aerillerie lègére de campagne belge" by Roger Lothaire, and no "obus a mitraille" are listed in 120mm weapons
best regards

Yes it is Belgium ... or at least that is what the paperwork states. Now that doesn't mean it is something else.

Joe

I know I'm late to the party, but how about US 5-inch shrapnel?

5-inch Shrapnel.jpg

I think you are right, 5 inch would be 127 mm. Diameter of the shell without driving band is 4.96" / 126 mm

Attachments

• 5'' Shrapnel, Model 1896.jpg
    5'' Shrapnel, Model 1896.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I think you've found it. I am not sure why they thought it was Belgium, other than maybe we made it for them.

Thanks guys,

Joe