What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 155mm Base Ejection Carrier Shell

ammocat

Ordnance approved
This shell was recently recovered in a Canadian training area where British, German, and U.S. manufactured shell have been used. I am trying to get a positive ID on it.

The shell is 589mm long from the base (base plate is missing) to the fuze/ordnance junction.
It has a single driving band that is 34mm wide.
The shell has a slight boat-tail and a threaded base, no external shear pin holes are visible.
The fuze fitted is a No. 221
The inside of the shell has a collar (for lack of a better term) inside the ogive, from the base to the collar is 430mm, from the base to the base of the fuze well is 555mm. The collar base has a slight taper to it.

I found a similar shell on a BOCN thread, but it does not specify the model number. I would like to confirm country of origin, model or mark and possible payloads. I have not had any luck on Ordata and I don't have access to my normal reference material right now. Any info on the stamped markings would be appreciated as well.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The last photo was hijacked from SG500, who I have also contacted to try to get the model number of his cutaway.

Can you show a photo looking into the hole in the base, from a slight angle to show what kind of base plate shape was used to plug the bottom? I'm thinking it is either the older style M116 BE smoke or the newer illuminating projectile, but the main difference is the geometry of the baseplate.

It looks to be a British Mk I 6" projectile (152mm). The length is correct to within 4mm, as is the driving band width.
The fuze appears to be a British No 221 time and combustion fuze.

Depending on where it was found it may have had either a chemical or smoke fill.

Cheers

Pete

fuze looks like and old time superquick (impact and power train time), and have have been made at the Joiliet AAP = just my first swing at this one though

HAZORD, I will post a photo on Monday to show what type of base plate fit in it.

The fuze fitted is definitely the No. 221 Time and Percussion. Based on peteblight's info and some other info I have received I may have misidentified the shell as 155mm. It is more likely a 6 inch shell. I will take an accurate measurement on Monday. Thanks to all for the posts and emails.

peteblight, I have made some room in my inbox.

i measured the diameter today, it is 152mm. Here are some photos of the base. I didn't have time to take detailed measurements of the base threads, ridge, etc.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well, it is not a U.S. Illum or BE smoke.

Thanks for posting the base photos!