What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 1939 dated WW1 shell case

H

Hoeksel

I have this German WW1 shell case of 75x227R87 with an adjusted primer, dated 1939.
Based on the primer and the size I guess it is adjusted for use in the 8 cm M5/M16 gun by Hungary. Can anybody verify? Interesting side-note is that apparantly the case did not fit very well in the gun...it is blown out.

Attachments

• Shell case.jpg
    Shell case.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Blown out.jpg
    Blown out.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 51
Well, I found that the 77x230R87 is indeed the ww1 8 cm M16 Howitzer used by Austria-Hungary in ww1 (see http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ammotable9.htm) but I don't know anything about ww2 guns.. So if I'm not mistaken, you think Hungary bought these shells from Rheinische MetallFabrik to convert them to newer guns? Nice!
Special case!
Sorry I can't be of more service..

I think Hungary (or whatever country this is) used old stock ammo to refurbish for use in WW2 guns or maybe just for practice (since the case did not fit the gun very well). I am currently trying to get another one; different case (WW1 Karlsruhe) but same primer.

I found a second case made of a 1917 dated Karlsruhe case, with the same primer dated 40. Now that I have 2 cases, I noted something interesting I did not notice before.

The first case has the following extra stamps: "E", "H" and "38".
The second case has "E", "H" and "40"

Based on the same style primer, the same 2 letters, I would say the same country. But what country?

The dates on the case nicely match the primers.