What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 2.75 inch Projectile + Fuse (UK - WW2 era)

diver

Ordnance approved
Gents,

I would like to have some more information about the projectile and fusing of the items in attachment.
What I know:
Nationality: UK
Diameter of the projectile: 2.75 inch (73 mm)
Width of driving band: 25 - 26 mm
What I suppose:
common pointed projectile
WW2 era
Thanks in advance for your support!

Stef

P1000140.JPGP1000143.JPGP1000142.JPG

Stef,

Under the R /l\ L there appears to be a 'I', the size and style of the suggests late 19c, very early 20c. The fuze looks like a No. 11 Mk 1, but apparently these weren't meant to be fitted to projectiles under 6".

Could you post an image of the base cleaned?

Regards

TimG

P.S.
Out of the 55 different Mks and variations of the No12 fuze (which was intended for use in projectiles less than 6"), the Mk I had a full size pressure plate and no protecting plug. Date approved 25th June 1895, obsolete for manufacture 14th October 1907.

Last edited:
@Tim,

Sorry I don't have any more pictures and it will be difficult to get more because we disposed of the projectile.

@Minenaz16,

We checked on this too! But the fuses don't match...

Anyone who has a clue: just shoot!

Regards,

Stef

Stef,

The 12 & 14 Pr Common Pointed projectile used a No 12 fuze, why was it the fuzes didn't match?

TimG

Tim,

as far as my documentations on N12 fuses is complete, I only found different MK's which had a protecting plug.
And how about the driving band? 12&14 pdrs have a smaller driving bad (or do I miss something? Which is possible of course...)

By the way, I forgot to mention that the projectile was 30 cm of length.

If you have any documents which could prove your suggestion, I would appreciate to have it!

Best regards,

Stef

Stef,

You'll notice the notes for the Mk. I states 'no protecting plug'

The diagram for the Mk. VI shows the pressure plate as a full size, centrally placed disc as opposed to the small offset disc normally associated with No. 12 fuzes. From what I can ascertain the all early Marks had such a plate.

That driving band does seem very wide.

Regards

Tim

012-413.jpg1911tofA-012-050.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

As luck would have it I've just located this diagram of a No. 12 Mk. I

Last edited:
Tim,

Thank you for the drawing!
In fact it could be a 12 pdr (I found a picture with a similar driving band - not on a common pointed projectile - it's possible to have driving bands from 10 mm to 25 mm and this particular projectile's driving band was 25 to 26 mm).

Best regards,

Stef

12 pdr   common6.jpg

The earlier 12pr Common pointed had a wider band about 26mm wide on a shell length of 330mm but had the small fuze hole of 24mm apx.

Hi
My shell on left, is the same show here but in poor condition
It's fitted with base plug Naval (stamp on plug N P2 C an B&C )
I think used in 12Pr 12cwt QF coast gun but Hogg don't show the same shell in his datas...
On right is 12 & 14 Pr solid shot QF (stamped on base)IMG_0611.jpgIMG_0613.jpg
Base Fuze N12 must be used on 12Pr pointed shell (Hogg)