What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 37mmx94R case?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

I'm trying to determine the origins of this 37mm pom pom case. Most I have come across have bases covered in heaps of markings - especially WW1 German, French etc.

This one has no base markings whatsoever.....also the case side has no necking - straight side (having been fired?).

I'm aware that this gun was still in use up to 1940.......perhaps a late period manufacture?

Any countries that didn't mark the bases?

All thoughts welcome!
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3227.jpg
    DSCN3227.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN3230.jpg
    DSCN3230.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 41
It is a British case

These weren't marked before Vikers joined Maxim in 1897 and maybe not until a bit later. There were lots made and they were reloaded. Some are blown out more than others and I guess it depends on the condition of the chamber in the barrel.

Hi Gspragge,

That makes sense - so the British cases I assume would have then been stamped VSM (Vickers Son & Maxim)

Does this then date the case to around the Boer War period?

Yes I did wonder if a "worn" chamber may have contributed to case sides - also the necking on these weren't that pronounced either.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Cheers
Drew

Yes likely Boer War

and earlier. The V.S. & M. cases have this in a circle or later a straight line. None of these are dated so when they started to mark them is unknown in exact terms.