What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 40mm rocket round

EODGUY

Exp rkt 1.jpg

I have had this round for years and have never seen anything in writing on it that I can recall. It is 40mm in diameter and 230mm long. It has two base venturies and a copper rotating band. Something similar has surfaced in a range clearance and I am trying to get some data on this item to help ID what has been found. Bob

Bob, I have one that is almost identical. I also have a launch tube that it fits in. I have a larger version that is about 2-1/2 inches in diameter. I was told that they were experimental aircrat rockets. I think there is a number on my fuze. Does yours have a number on it?

No numbers on mine at all. Actually mine does not have a "fuze". The green section is just paint on the blue body. I was told years ago that it was an experimental heavy bomber weapons system, but have never seen that in writing or any data. Same with the 70mm item I just posted, just a larger version. Is your tube a gun type tube of a rocket tube? If rocket, why the rotating band I wonder. Bob

This is a 38mm T225 or T288 (practice) and belongs into a cylindrical case which is 310mm long. These are supposedly from that late 1950's.

The steel case on my T288 dated 59 is 313mm Ext. dia.44mm Int. dia 40mm no rim no grouve
Proj.38mm dia. rotating band 40mm dia. proj. & rocket 230mm long 3 venturies
Clear plastic case for powder charge 38mm dia. 74.5mm long center steel tube primer with breakaway
bolt to proj/rocket
Frank.

Here are some photos of the first 38mm item that was located in that land clearance. The 3rd and fourth photo are trying to show a "rubber like" strip with 2 wires running down along the side of the projectile. The 4th photo shows what seems to indicate this "rubber" substance changes direction and extends to the right and left maybe around the inside of the projectile as well as continuing down the wall of the projectile. We first thought it was a test 40mm AAA for something like the Sgt.York; now thanks to you all we have learrned it might be a T225/228 38mm test item. Any thoughts or comments would be appricated. Thanks, Mick
IMAG0360.jpgIMAG0361.jpgIMAG0362.jpgIMAG0363.jpgIMAG0364.jpg