What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 47mm WW1(?) projectile, ID please!

APFSDST

Good day all,

can somebody identify this 47mm projectile, please?
The fuze (or just plug?) is interesting, because left screwed.
Unfortunately the rotating band is lost.

Hi APFSDST, Are there any markings of any kind on the projectile? It is unfamiliar to me and definately a coolamundo piece...Dano

One odd thing is that the groove for the driving band is straight and has no means of preventing any band swaged onto it from spinning ?????????????
Looks well old and I would guess WW1 vintage possibly even earlier.

Yes Chris, you see well.
And it had one driving band, not two. I seen another one (in worse condition) with one diriving band.

This looks like a larger version of an Austrian 37mm round , probably used in the 47mm Hotchkiss gun. If so, it could be a bouncer, which had a black powdwe charge in the nose which propelled it up in the air where the HE detonated, Check to see if there are threads down inside of the prrojectile body.

I'm sure, that this isn't bounching type. The screw is too heavy not like as the 37mm bounver type ammo.
The nose is a simple solid plug. Not fuze.