What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 60mm Shell? Beach found - St. Valery en Caux

Peamix

Happy New Year all,

Hope you can help a total amateur identify something I picked up off a French beach back in 1998..

I found it at the waters edge on the beach at St. Valery en Caux, below a cliff that featured a part-demolished German WW2 bunker.
The base looks to be made of brass and measures 6cm in diameter by 3 cm deep. The remains of the body, which looks like steel is about 9cm long and heavily corroded/splintered. As you can see it is heavily encrusted with silt and sand.

I cant find any markings as such but the centre of the base looks like it has a defined circular depression.

All I know about the area is that it saw Rommel defeat the French and English in 1940.

Cheers,

Jamie.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Hi Jamie,
And a Happy New Year to you too.
Is it possible that the base is actually the top ? It looks like a brass top screwed on to a brass thread, probably not for anything under pressure as the "cap" has no flats on it so is probably designed to be finger tight. Sorry I cant be more positive on the identification.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Jamie,
And a Happy New Year to you too.
Is it possible that the base is actually the top ? It looks like a brass top screwed on to a brass thread, probably not for anything under pressure as the "cap" has no flats on it so is probably designed to be finger tight. Sorry I cant be more positive on the identification.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,

I think you could be on the right track there, let's not forget I'm only making the assumption that this is in any way military-related due to the proximity of the German bunker complex near where it was found. It could even be part of a vehicle as the opening is about the right size for a fuel nozzle.

It might help if I could figure out how to clean it up a bit!

Cheers,

Jamie.

Last edited: