What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 75mm French ? APCBC

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
Here is a projectile i have had for a few years and have not got round to identifying yet, I have a idea that it is French. It is 75mm dia and 300mm in length. The base is threaded for a base fuze although the cavity is rather small, the stamping on the body is between the driving bands and reads
It appears very similar to the one in the following thread but not sure if its the same,
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/french-tank-and-t70393.html

UH-FBE-1-44-PCOT

Also stamped on the base with;

1 H and a pair of crossed cannons with 3 above them, any ideas ?

Empty and inert of course.

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Unknown French 75mm APCBC 002.jpg
    Unknown French 75mm APCBC 002.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Unknown French 75mm APCBC 003.jpg
    Unknown French 75mm APCBC 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 55
  • Unknown French 75mm APCBC 004.jpg
    Unknown French 75mm APCBC 004.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Unknown French 75mm APCBC 005.jpg
    Unknown French 75mm APCBC 005.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi Weasel,
It's not really my cup of tea, as its post-WW2. But it's not the same as the projectile in that fabulous thread some genius posted, Basically, it is a French 75mm PCOT round for the 75 mm Mle 50 (ie 1950) gun used notably on the AMX 13 tank. I believe the correct case is 75x593R

On an interesting side note, its supposedly a derivative of the German 7,5cm Kwk42/L70 gun as used in the Panther.

Im sure others will have more info!
Rich

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your response, its not really my thing either being post WW2 but i would not have known that without your input.
Off to the classifieds i think, Best regards Weasel.

I got mine in the early days of my collecting when I didn't know better - it was stuck in a 17 pounder case!!:tinysmile_angry2_t: I did notice one of the dealers at Stoneleigh in 2008 had done exactly the same thing to these things still go on!
Luckily I found a nice 17 pounder projectile for a good price soon after so all was well in the end.
Dave.

AMX shell

Apparently finding these in a 17pdr case was common,finding the correct French case is i believe much harder? I think its steel,is this correct?tig.

Hi Dave,
Yes I got mine in the begining of my collection and it was stuck in a wartime dated US Sherman case. Tig as for the correct case being steel I am not sure I think Tim has a brass one I will try and get him to post a pick or two, best regards Weasel.

I also had one of these rounds once, and it had a steel case...and I'm pretty sure Ive seen it in a brass case also. As far as I am aware it can be in either.
Rich