What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown 76mm projectile, please help

charley777

IMG_3584.jpgIMG_3603.jpgIMG_3604.jpgIMG_3606.jpgIMG_3609.jpgIMG_3610.jpgIMG_3611.jpgIMG_3602.jpgGreetings to all (-:
Can anyone shed any light on this projectile? Probably was a "trench-art lamp" part after retiring from the military.

About 76mm across bourrelet, and 75mm below driving band.
Base to DB 38mm
Width of DB 13mm
Base to adapter 264mm
Width of adapter 27mm

Any information would be much appreciated. The markings seem legible as in the photos.

Possibly U.S. M 1916 75mm Gun? I thought Russian as there are quite the number of lamped export shells but it's longer than what I've seen and more similar in length to a U.S. 75 I have here.
Cheers, SHAKY

I am going with Russian WWI High Explosive shell made in the US for the 76.2mm field gun. I have recently seen this same shell stuck in the Russian 76.2mm shell casing.

Like he said, Russian WWI. They made a gazillion of these in the States in WWI. Bored from the bar.

Makes sense. My measurements are same. My other Russians are shrapnell. BSC is the manufacturer of the H.E. here and had it in a U.S. case so I assumed it was. U.S. It's now in a Russian casing.

Thanks very much, gentlemen. That's good news as I have a suitable case for it :)
Any idea if they were painted, and if so what colour?

Last edited: