What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 9 cm shell.

super7

Got this 9 cm shell from a friend. Heavy lump of steel. No charge.

Measurements 90 x 255 mm. Only marking present is at the bottom: 34.

Any ideas of its origin?

Regards, Jan

http://www.westernfront.nl

Attachments

• DSC01682.jpg
    DSC01682.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC01683.jpg
    DSC01683.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 65
Possibly American

The driving band grooves and the case crimp groove would suggest it is American in origen.
Sadly I know very little about the American ammo so cannot go any further.
Nice item !

It appears to be a U.S. M77 SHOT AP-T projectile. Yours is missing the screw-in tracer. Used in the 90mm gun dating back to late WWII. Yours would have been used primarily in the tank gun, but could have been fired by the antiaircraft gun in a direct fire mode.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Jan,

I spent a lot of time on a tank range where these projos were fired over the years. That shape is programmed into my head, easy to recognize. I believe there is at least one other thead her on BOCN, maybe 2 where members have shown phiotos of their fired projos. It would be a thread that I responded to.

John

Ap-t m77

Yes, I also think it is a AP-T M77 from the USA.
Here is another drawing,

Attachments

• Pg M 77.GIF
    Pg M 77.GIF
    53 KB · Views: 20
Black with white markings

I put a page of American paint colours in the restoration section. Refer to that.

Jan

Proper coloring is a flat black projectile with white lettering. 1/2" high lettering, all capital letters.

If you are looking for the proper cartridge case, it would be an M-19 Brass or M-19B1 Steel case.

Just a final note, these early 90mm M-77 Projos are fairly hard to find here in the U.S. in unfired condition, so you have a good piece there.

Last edited: