What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown bomb tail

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
This bomb tail is part of a British bomb dropped on the GESTAPO headquarter in Aarhus, Denmark in the fall of 1944. Unfortunate I forgot to measure the diameter of the bomb tail but an estimated guess would be 30cm. Also No.26.III is painted in yellow on the tail (see attached).

Is it possible to conclude what type of bomb it was?

Attachments

• Bomb-Tail_No.26.III.jpg
    Bomb-Tail_No.26.III.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 97
According to "British Explosve Ordnance" the tail No.26 was installed in the GP 500 lb and MC 500 lb bombs. Both of them have diameter 33 cm (12,9 in.).

Last edited:
Hi

I have downloaded copy. On page 19 (22nd page of pdf) in the description of G.P.500 lb bomb is the position "Tail No. ..... No.2 Mk.I or No.26 Mk.I and II". On page 27 (32nd page of pdf) is the description of M.C 500 lb bomb with similar position "Tail No. ..... " (There's a lot of tails mentioned, but one of them is No.26 Mk.I).

In fact, Anders wrote that he has tail with description "No.26 III" that suggest "No.26 Mk.III", not mentioned in "British Explosove Ordnance". But both 500 lb bombs have many versions, some were obsolete and not described in this manual, so I think that is very high probability to this tail is from 500 lb GP or MC bomb.

Hi Speedy,

Thanks again, exactly what I needed, but for some reason the "Download" button has no effect, I run IE8. Anyone else have problems downloading the manual?
Hi

I have downloaded copy. On page 19 (22nd page of pdf) in the description of G.P.500 lb bomb is the position "Tail No. ..... No.2 Mk.I or No.26 Mk.I and II". On page 27 (32nd page of pdf) is the description of M.C 500 lb bomb with similar position "Tail No. ..... " (There's a lot of tails mentioned, but one of them is No.26 Mk.I).

In fact, Anders wrote that he has tail with description "No.26 III" that suggest "No.26 Mk.III", not mentioned in "British Explosove Ordnance". But both 500 lb bombs have many versions, some were obsolete and not described in this manual, so I think that is very high probability to this tail is from 500 lb GP or MC bomb.