What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown brass objects - Something to do with .303 ammunition?

Falcon

A contact of mine has these two unknown brass objects.

The threaded parts are slotted so that they are forced inwards as the wingnut is tightened.

The round bases were about the diameter of a 1p coin.

He said they had a paper tag attached to them saying that they were something to do with .303 ammunition. However, he cannot remember exactly what.

One of them says "MADE IN ENGLAND" on one of the wings of the wingnut, the other is completetely unmarked.

Does anyone know what these are? Thanks for any info.

unknown1.jpgunknown2.jpgunknown3.jpg

Slide it over the bullet,screw it down tight,for pulling bullets out of the cases?

They fit on a cleaning rod to act as a stop so that the jag and the patch do not exit the muzzle. Probably made by Parker Hale or similar, they have been used by target shooters and others since Adam was a cadet!

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for that Tony.

Lou, I had also considered the bullet removing idea, but the holes are too small for a .303 bullet.

What is the slot across the bottom face of the screw (see pic 3) for?

I presume it is just so that it tightens up on the rod as the wing nut is screwed home.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Falcon
The slot is a modification you can do to them so you can hold it in place with a screw driver to stop it turning while doing up the wing nut instead of just holding it with your fingers on the knurled part.
It's hard to explain but for example you hold the rod in your hand with the device already over your rod then place the screw driver in the slot with it running along side the rod and kind of hold all three at once kind of sounds hard but is very easy to do.
Then do up the wing nut with your other hand, the reason the screw driver is a big help is that the device works by the tapered nut being tightened down that in turn squashes the threaded part together which grips the rod the other slot that's along the threaded bit is to allow it to squash up but what sometimes happens is the thing just turns round the rod as the nuts done up and doesn't clamp down so the screw driver is used to stop it turning allowing it to clamp when tightened.

From bazooka chris

Last edited:
Cheers Bazooka Chris. Nothing wrong with your description, I understand exactly what you mean.