What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown bullet is it dangerous?

Xaberx

I came across a what appears to be a bullet while cleaning a deceased relatives home. I have had this for quite some time and have started to wonder the history of this bullet.
I can best read this from the bandings of the bullet but It appears it has indeed been fired. the fireing pin has been removed and just the top remains. First my most important question is this dangerous? I have no idea what shot this monster, however I do want to be safe and if it is Dangerous would rather get rid of it before it explodes.

t23??0-??-1943 W.R & J.B 37MM-M51?
Both sets of ?? really look like 13 to me but are so badly faded
the last ? looks kinda like an "E"
There is a Symbol that looks like 2 guns crossing Within a circle I drew it as best I could and took a picture of it

There is also what appears to be a proof mark or arms symbol located on the band that looks like 2 guns crossed and the date that is readable is 1943 So my guess is WW2. I am from the US and this is a Brittish Ordnance site however I really hope someone could shed some light on this piece. I included large images to help in identifacation.
unknowngt.jpg

Im not sure if this matters or not but the unit was found in a old dresser drawer and it weighs approximently 5lbs

Last edited:
projectile

This might be a British site but there are experts from all over the world on it, what else would you expect from possibley the best site on ordnance.

Your projectile looks to be American, and there are more knowledgeable people than me on your 37mm rounds. As to potential danger look at the base, generally if its solid steel as the rest of the body it is inert but if it has a plug or fuze in the base it could have something nasty in it. If there is a hole in the base and you can see into the shell and its truly empty then it is inert. 2pr

Looks to be an American 37mm M51B APC projectile. The cap and ballistic cap are missing.

The projectile known as APC (armour piercing capped) in American terminology is equivalent to APCBC (armour piercing capped ballistic capped) in British terms, since it consists of a hard steel body, a piercing or penetrative cap sweated on to the body and a light ballistic cap or windshield. The body actually penetrates the armour while the penetrative cap which has a blunt nose, serves as a cushion or guide for the body when it strikes the armour. The ballistic cap, made of aluminium alloy, is screwed over the penetrative cap and is designed to reduce air resistance and thereby improve the remaining velocity of the projectile. Shot APC M51 weighs approximately 1.92 lbs. and is 6.36 inches long. The tracer cavity at the base of the shot is filled with red tracer composition. The cavity when filled is covered with cellophane or celluloid to protect the filling from moisture. The tracer is ignited by the flash from the propellant and burns for about 2000 yards.

Source Stuart V & VI armament pamphlet.

The unit seems to be equally heavy through the entire weight of the body. I added 2 views it looks like it has a hole the size of my thumb that goes in for 1 inch(2.54cm) The overall length is about 4-6 inches as Quartermass mentioned. I drew a simple paint image to show the base alongside the images to help explain the indent as it is "V" Shapped and does come to a point on the inside. I am worried that this is explosive which is why i came to the experts :) if it is explosive I will be contacting the nearest bomb squad to have them destroy it safely. My first concern is the safty of my family. Please help me in deturmining if this is safe.

bottomwc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to be a U.S. 37mm M51 AP-T SHOT projo. missing the ballistic and penetrating caps.

Last edited:
Does it appear to be dangerous? or carrying a load still, i checked for any indication of holes on the outside and none exist(someone mentioned they drilled holes in them to remove the payload)

any idea?

Thanks in advance
Xaber

It isn't dangerous. It is solid steel with a copper alloy rotating band. The hole drilled in the base is for the tracer, which is already burned, and appears to be cleaned out.

Last edited:
Mind your foot!

Looks to me like Hazord has it nailed and the only danger to anyone would be if you dropped it on someone's foot:laugh:

Very nice item as I have not seen many fired ones.

Will that be the start of a new collection ?

Thanks for all of your help, Im not really a collector I just seem to have stumbled upon this item, I do like its historical value however. Is this rare to see them fired?

Thanks everyone for your help, I will likly sell this item as I said im not really a collector just wanted to make sure the item was safe for people to be around(especially my family).