What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown canister

I picked this up at a local Antique mall for about 8 bucks (around 5 British pounds I think?), anyway I've had no luck identifying it myself. It is a brass canister that measures 370mm tall and 105mm across, there are no identifying marks on it and does not appear to be cut short. The thing that throws me off the most are the four 15mm bands, they too are brass. Oh, and I apologize for the poor picture quality, I don't own a better camera.

Attachments

• Unknown Shell.jpg
    Unknown Shell.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 104
Hi,

So there's no marking at all on the base? Perhaps a base shot may help.....

Does it have the primer?

Cheers
Drew

Here ya go, I got a hold of a slightly better camera. That hole there is about 15mm across.

Attachments

• shellpic1.jpg
    shellpic1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61
  • shellpic2.jpg
    shellpic2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 53
Hi,

Firstly thank you for posting the additional photos.

OK, from the dimensions (105 x 370mm) it would be a M14 case derivative. Since there is definitely lack of any base markings (i.e. 105mm M14 MF1 etc), then I can only *guess* that it may be either a drill round or more probably an experimental case. The latter being due to the 4 x 15mm equally spaced brass bands on the case. (...and no ideas at this stage for their purpose except perhaps handing higher than the max. number of bag chargers - remember this was a semi-fixed ammunition loading system and the case basically used to seal the breach)
Perhaps the more serious 105mm ammo Collectors can jump in here and comment and "flame down" my theory?
Cheers
Drew

BTW - great find!!!

Thanks for giving me a better idea as to what it may be. Oh and the bands are not raised, are not tapered, and have no weld points, they appear to have been cast with the shell.

Last edited:
I have a 40MM Bofors blank charge(short) case with a similar "band". Appears to have had some sort of finish that preserved it's original shine. About the width of Scotch tape, which makes me think there was some sort of label wrapped around it before firing. The four on yours? ????????

Nice shell, regardless.

Yes the bands appear to have a much better sheen than the rest. By the by, do you have any pictures of that 40mm, and/or does it have any identifying markings on it?
Thanks.

OK. Got a couple of shots of the 40mm w/band. Close examination shows this to be some sort of tape. No hint of any writing, so not a label. This is one of 3 I have and the only one with the tape. Of these, I fired the two brass ones back in the mid '70s from a shipboard saluting gun, so they are "original" in the sense that it is how they were when handed to me for loading and firing.

Attachments

• 40mm saluting 001 (Small).jpg
    40mm saluting 001 (Small).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 40mm saluting 003 (Small).jpg
    40mm saluting 003 (Small).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 23
Thank ya kindly, this has certainly helped me, though it's still an unknown, I do have at least a much better idea of it's possible origins.