What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Cartridges...

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Asking the experts...

CampX (Dean) picked up a few cartridges (sight unseen) after being told that they were pre-WW2 8mm Mauser rounds. After looking at them, we're unsure if they are in fact 8mm Mauser rounds.

Can anyone help identify what they really are?

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

• Unknown (1).jpg
    Unknown (1).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Unknown (2).jpg
    Unknown (2).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 81
They are Czech cartridges,could be 7.65x53 or 8x57,measure the brass case in milimeters,this will help.

Hi
It's 7.9 S "Spitzgzschoss; tchechoslowakei
from die Militrpatronen Kaliber 7.9 mm book

Czech 7.9mm

Not a "Spitzgeschoss", as it is not pointed.

It is still worth czeching (sorry!) the case length as it is unusual to see a Czech 7.9 with a round nosed bullet on a military 1933 case.

Regards
TonyE

It is a Czech RN 8x57 Mauser round. These are actually pretty common in the US. If a military contract, I'm not sure who it was for. I will have to czech the round in my collection to see if it's .318 or .323. I will measure it SLOWvakly to ensure I get it right.

Czech 7.9

I don't collect 7.9, but I do not think the round nosed ones are that common here in the UK, although others may say differently.

I 'll have to come back later with a suitable riposte to the SLOW joke... I am about to eat as I am very hungary.

Cheers
Tony

The case is a Tzech one . M =Tschechoslowakische Munitionsfabrik ,
Preburg (Bratislava) But is this bullet the right one for this case?

That is the original RN bullet to that cartridge. While ROMANian around various gun and cartridge shows, I have seen many of these. The diameter of my example is 7.94mm/.3125 inch.

Thanks for all the replies and information.

The only outstanding question is...
"Will they fit a CZ made Mauser?"

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited: