What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Case

Investment

Hi,

Could someone please let me know if this is a Maxim case and what type of projectile was mounted in it.

Overall Length 175 mm

Mouth width 40 mm

Base width 58 mm

The case has 3 indents around the top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Invest

Attachments

• Unknown (1).jpg
    Unknown (1).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Unknown (2).jpg
    Unknown (2).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 27
  • Unknown (3).jpg
    Unknown (3).jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Unknown (4).jpg
    Unknown (4).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Unknown (5).jpg
    Unknown (5).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 22
  • Unknown (6).jpg
    Unknown (6).jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Unknown (7).jpg
    Unknown (7).jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Unknown (8).jpg
    Unknown (8).jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 24
I think you have a shortened Navy case for 1 1/2 Pr Heavy by maxim Nordenfeldt. Should be 197mm case length?
My cases do not have the dot crimps so close to the case mouth so I think it is a shortened case. Rim seems correct diameter.
I have two different length projectiles that are copper plated and the usual steel one with the N 89 stamp. All base fused.
The blank has a slightly roll crimped mouth.
I just measured my case. The length from base to centre of the dot crimp is 173mm.
The mouths are often cracked so I think it is trimmed to remove the cracks??

Last edited:
Jason, the case dates between 1888 when Maxim took over Nordenfelt (to become Maxim-Nordenfelt) and 1897 when Vickers acquired the company to become Vickers, Sons & Maxim (VSM).
As Ron says, these 1 & 1/2 inch (38mm) cases are very prone to mouth cracks. The N89 stamped projectiles are actually quite common here, but not so the base fuzes.
Graeme