What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown designation

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi, Anyone able to tell me the designation of this one? All I know is that it came from Bosnia. Cheers

Attachments

• Bosnian.jpg
    Bosnian.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 59
Hi, Thanks Jolly Green. It is very similar, except my one has a grey base and no writing on it. Im not sure if that makes a difference, or if it was simply a different production run. Cheers

It is the Zeneva as mentioned. I have an identical one to the one on the URL above. Same markings except the two letters "IP" on that one are "FE" on mine. They are obviously hot stamped into the plastic and I assume are some sort of inspector's marking. Anyone verify that? Also has anyone ever seen a green plastic bodied Zeneva that was identified on the URL webpage? Seen a lot of them and they were all black defensive types.

The two larger grenades on the web page are not Zeneva's. The green one is identical to one in an Egyptian catalog I have that is identified as the No. 1 Defensive grenade. I took one of these and melted the plastic and recovered 7,643 steel balls 2.1mm to 2.6mm in diameter. The black one is identified as the No. 1 Offensive, pure blast, no pre-formed fragments. I have one of each of these grenades in my collection, each with the wide style black plastic fuze. No markings on nthe fuze or body. They were recovered post DESERT STORM in Iraq. Most examples of the bodies encountered had the Yugoslav fuze from the M-75, complete with Yugo markings. There were several other types of Egyptian grenades recovered in Iraq so these could well be No. 1's. Whether the Egyptians bought Yugo fuzes for some of theirs or the Iraqi's mixed and matched I do not know. If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it.

This is a intricate question.....and I'll add an extra problem: the fuze of the egyptian grenade is the same of a not-adopted austrian grenade DNW-Glock HG81....

Excellent point and one I had not thought of about the Austrian fuze connection. I have attached photos of my grenades. I discovered I did also have one with the Yugoslav M75 fuze that I had forgotten about. The body of the grenade is the same for all three, except for the pre-formed fragements in the green body. The top unscews to allow a cast explosive charge to be inserted. The only difference other than the fuze is the one with the Yugo fuze has the numbers "02-88 270" embossed in the base of the grenade body. The numbers are positioned and spaced very irregularly. Still a mystery to me as to the origin of all the bits and pieces.

Attachments

• Egyptian grenades.jpg
    Egyptian grenades.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 39
  • Egyptoian grenades, top.jpg
    Egyptoian grenades, top.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Egyptian grenades, bottom.jpg
    Egyptian grenades, bottom.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Egyptian grenade marking.jpg
    Egyptian grenade marking.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Egyptian grenade. apart.jpg
    Egyptian grenade. apart.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 23
The DNW-Glock grenade; it is the same of the egyptian, but with orizzontal lines just.....

Attachments

• austria DNW SplHGr80.jpg
    austria DNW SplHGr80.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 24
Wouldn't surprise me if the Egyptians bought an assembly line from Austria and had it set up in Egypt to produce these grenades. I know the Egyptians have done that before with other ordnance items. Saves them years of development and the expense of designing and producing the equipment to produce and assemble. Not cheap to "buy someone else's line", but still less expensive in the long run.