What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Early British Fuze

Weasel

Premium Member
This was given to me a while ago and i have only just got round to photographing it. I would think it was early British 1855-65 ish, It is made from brass with a central tube open at the top and closed at the base. There are two offset rows of holes running down one side, a number 1 and 3 below that is all i can read.

Length is 125mm
Width across screw thread is 37mm

Empty and Inert.

Best Weasel.

Attachments

• Unknown Fuze 001.jpg
    Unknown Fuze 001.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Unknown Fuze 004.jpg
    Unknown Fuze 004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 105
cant help with the id weasel but thats a beauty,ive only seen wooden ones in this style,,ever get sick of it let me have first dibs

Hi Spotter,
Yes i have seen the wooden variation of this as well i have a feeling you posted a picture somewhere although cant remember where...
This i suppose could be a later mark of the same design? Will let you know if i get bored of looking at it.
Best Weasel.

English Metal Time Fuse Adapter;

Sir:
I don't have a designation of the metal (grass) time fuse adapter but can show you what it would look like new. If I can figure out how to post an image here.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Boxer Fuze;

Sir:
This color plate was drawn from a recovered fuze on San Laurenzo Island off the Peruvian coast.
In the 1860s Peru and Chili purchased Armstrong and Blakely ordnance from the UK.The image was sent to me by a collector from Peru. I am sure Royal Laboratory plates can be found to reference this fuze diesigned by Capt. Boxer when he served at the Arsenal.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Thanks for all the pictures of various metal Boxer fuzes, I have looked at alot of early colour plates and have yet to find the one relating to this fuze. It must be out there somewhere....Any idea what shell this would have been fitted to? Studded, lead coated etc.
Best Weasel.

They wre probalby fitted in large caliber spherical shells.
I have seen the Woolwich Arsenal library and these fuzes are shown in their massive set of color plates.
Best Regards,
John
if you would like a copy of the full size plate send me your email .

Bird,
I have trouble downloading your reference here on the wooden time fuses, Can you email it to me? Is your PDF file a scan or a pure text PDF?
Thanks
Bart

Fuzes;

Ed,
Thank you for sharing those PDF files. I just wish there was more on the 1861-65 period.
The one labeled Fuzes help me identify the Franfort Arsenal Ring Resistance fuze pattern. I have a plate of an earlier model than those. Perhaps you or someone can give me a designatiion for it. It was found in a post Civil War shell patented by Clarence Arrick, known as the Eureka Shell.
Regards,
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the fuses that I have posted for the Hotchkiss 1.65" ammunition are rig resistance fuses.

They evidentially trusted them to such an extent that the shell were shipped loaded and fused. There were no safety wire thingamabobs.

Sorry, I don't know the designation of that fuse.

Ring Resistance Fuze;

Ed,
I need to change the captions these are from the Eureka shell and not Stafford.
I suspect the "FA" is the Frankfort Arsenal dated 1895. The striker assembly on my drawings are almost identical the ones in your "Fuzes" pdf file. Thanks for looking anyway, perhaps someone else will identify it. I see that you, weasel and Doctor are about the only ones responding.
All the Best,
Bart