What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Frag ball

Lou

I find the oddest things in the oddest places...This one came from the glass display case of a vendor that sells cowboy goods. I.E. leather holsters,turquois jewlery,etc etc...Previous owner didnt have a clue what it was or where he got it,only that he'd had it for years and I was the first to show any interest in it... Anyone know what it is?????

fragball 023.jpgfragball 025.jpgfragball 021.jpgfragball 020.jpg

Frag ball out of an M39 or M43 Submunition? That's what it looks like to me. Cheers, Bruce.

Lou,

It is the kill mechanism from a number of items: ADAM mine, Pursuit Deterrent Munition, and a number of other submunitions dispersed from 16 inch Navy, 8 inch howitzer, 155mm Howitzer and 105mm Howitzer

The M43 grenades was dispersed from the 16 inch Navy projectile, the 8 inch Howitzer, and the 155mm Howitzer. The M39 grenade is dispersed from the 105mm Howitzer projectile. I have attached 2 photos of the M39 grenade below.

When they were under development and testing, even the fragments were classified.

Attachments

• M39 Grenade Submunition 1.jpg
    M39 Grenade Submunition 1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 39
  • M39 Grenade Submunition 2.jpg
    M39 Grenade Submunition 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Good spot John. It does very closely resemble the ball in the PDM I have.Minus the LE jacket. I noticed on this one too,the two halves have a different frag pattern,maybe someone put a couple different parts together.

I find the oddest things in the oddest places...This one came from the glass display case of a vendor that sells cowboy goods. I.E. leather holsters,turquois jewlery,etc etc...Previous owner didnt have a clue what it was or where he got it,only that he'd had it for years and I was the first to show any interest in it... Anyone know what it is?????

View attachment 70427View attachment 70428View attachment 70429View attachment 70430

Well found Lou I'd have walled past that, now I know what to look for:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Dave.

Lou,

It is the kill mechanism from a number of items: ADAM mine, Pursuit Deterrent Munition, and a number of other submunitions dispersed from 16 inch Navy, 8 inch howitzer, 155mm Howitzer and 105mm Howitzer

The M43 grenades was dispersed from the 16 inch Navy projectile, the 8 inch Howitzer, and the 155mm Howitzer. The M39 grenade is dispersed from the 105mm Howitzer projectile. I have attached 2 photos of the M39 grenade below.

When they were under development and testing, even the fragments were classified.

Nearly the same submunition, with the same kill ball and slight variations to the vanes, was air dispensed from the SUU-13 dispenser (aircraft delivered). The vanes were changed slightly due to release velocities being different and the affect on pattern dispersion. These were the BLU-18 and its orange BDU counterpart.

Lou, are you a cowboy of sorts? Anyhow great find. You do find the strangest things.