What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown grenade or Fake ?

ron3350

This grenade is for sale at auction but I have never seen anything like this item. Is it real or a fake ? No extra info listed.
Brass body, 21" bamboo rod, plunger top, no markings. Auctioneer says unknown origin. Info is welcome.
I still have to get used to this format. SORRY. Seems I need thumbnails to get a photo OK.

Attachments

• Grenade Query.png
    Grenade Query.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hello,
I can't find previous post but I'm quite sure we talked about it on Bocn.

This may help

Personally I think this is a totally fake grenade. If it was a rod rifle grenade that makes no sense. The diameter of the bamboo appears to be much larger than the typical military rifle bore. It is also not straight. If the diameter is small enough for a rifle bore then that makes the grenade so small it would not be very effective. It also appears to be a very over designed impact fuze. If it was a stick grenade that is another story. Although bamboo is strong, there is no need for such a long handle on a stick grenade, especially a handle as small in diameter as this is. If I collected fake items I would buy it, but since I don't.............

Personally I think this is a totally fake grenade. If it was a rod rifle grenade that makes no sense. The diameter of the bamboo appears to be much larger than the typical military rifle bore. It is also not straight. If the diameter is small enough for a rifle bore then that makes the grenade so small it would not be very effective. It also appears to be a very over designed impact fuze. If it was a stick grenade that is another story. Although bamboo is strong, there is no need for such a long handle on a stick grenade, especially a handle as small in diameter as this is. If I collected fake items I would buy it, but since I don't.............
It's never a rifle grenade, but the stick and head size is not too disimilar to the Russian Lishin grenade or the Japanese 'stick' grenade both from the Russian / Japanese war. The British No.1 first appeared with a long handle giving an overall length of 21.75 inches.

Ruský to nebude, keďže je tam bambus. Dĺžka je tu 610 mm
* translated to English
It will not be Russian, as there is bamboo. The length here is 610 mm

Attachments

• 20230817_152258.jpg
    20230817_152258.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230817_154728.jpg
    20230817_154728.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator: