What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Grenade

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Any ideas on this possible grenade / item? Pictures were taken at Aberdeen Ordnance Museum.

Dia: 51mm
Length total: 103mm
Main Body: 65mm

No markings found on it.

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-AB2-82-1.jpg
    ICE-AB2-82-1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 70
  • ICE-AB2-82-10.jpg
    ICE-AB2-82-10.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 73
  • ICE-AB2-83-1.jpg
    ICE-AB2-83-1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 55
  • ICE-AB2-83-8.jpg
    ICE-AB2-83-8.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 53
Looks like its designed to be fired from some sort of launcher with the short lever and the two rings providing a gas seal . Could it be an early UGL launched with a blank cartridge?
Interesting piece.
Hangarman

I was thinking possibly Japanese. But I could be wrong.

I was also thinking the same thing, especially with the body having the rigs around the main portion.

Joe

1918 Allways Fuze Trials

Any ideas on this possible grenade / item? Pictures were taken at Aberdeen Ordnance Museum.

Dia: 51mm
Length total: 103mm
Main Body: 65mm

No markings found on it.

Joe
Joe,

The attached might be of interest. This is an allways fuzed hand and rifle grenade submitted for British trials in 1918. It is known as a Bellamy after the officer who invented the fuze. There were four competing designs in the 1918 trials (Vickery, Cole, Bellamy and CSOF), they all used the same body. I know the Vickery, Bellamy and CSOF, and yours isn't one of these, but I dont know what the Cole fuze looked like so maybe this is it!

If you get a chance to get some better pictures I'd appreciate copies.

Best

Attachments

• bellamy.jpg
    bellamy.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Great work gentlemen, That is a grenade that I too have never seen. Sure does appear to be designed to be cup launched. Wonderful hobby this is as something previously unseen has a habit of occasionally popping up. SWEET grenade.......Dano