What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Magazin

Chris

Ordnance approved
Can anybody identify this little object?

The only markings are the 5 / 1984 in yellow letters.

I think it's some pyrotechnic, maybe for firework.

Chris

Attachments

• P9020086.jpg
    P9020086.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P9020087.jpg
    P9020087.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 36
  • P9020088.jpg
    P9020088.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35
It appears to be a "ROF Dial-a-Star" made in the UK. It was made to shoot flares into the sky for emergency purposes. There is suppose to be a handle attachment (well proportioned) that fits in the hand very well. What you may have is what they consider the "Cassette" whic is the part you have. They came in with different colors. There is also a glove that comes with the entire package for use when firing this cassette because your hand is exposed to the back blast.

Want any more info?

Mark

Mark,

If you have any documentation or photo on the item that would be great.
Thank you for your quick response.

Chris

Chris,

I tried the internet but to no avail.

It is made in the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Chorley, Lancashire PRZ PR7 6AD.

The handle is an "L" shape, plastic. You place the cassette on top of the handle. It is cocked by a string of nylon. You can also move the cassette to which color you'd want to fire first. It looks as though they are fired by .22 cal blanks.

The flares are visible for 3-2 km in daylight and up to 11km at night. The complete kit is extremely waterproof/weather tolerant. The whole kit will remain underwater for 24 hrs in an immersion in salt water and is designed for a five-year storage and shelf-life.

It is a Military and civilian model (Both are available to the military and Joe Q. citizen.

To be very honest I have never heard of a device that could handle that kind of testing and survive. If I ever could find one here in the U.S. of A. I would buy it hands down. Sorry Chris I should know more about this very clever device. My very close second hobby is collecting "Aircrew Survival Equipment", especially from the the 1960's and to the present day item such as the 406 global Positioning Satellites with almost instant ID. They are officially called "406 EPIRBS" and are the very best you can get for Emergency purposein bad conditions. I only wish the armed forces in this country to have considerd this item for survival

As of now we have the "A/P22-1", rocket powered flares.

Last but not least is that my door is open for any survival question of anykind>