What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Maker's marks "WML" on Mills No.36M Mk1

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Here's another one for the experts...

I pickup a Mills No.36M Mk1 today with the maker's mark... "WML" (the "L" is underscored or underlined).
It still has 75% of the original finish and traces of the original red X's and green filler band. It also has an original center piece, brass filler plug and lever. The lever also marked "WML". The safety pin appears to be brass (it's not a cap badge pin but a proper split pin) and has a solid (welded) pill ring.
Unfortunately, no base plug, striker or spring. I'll need to find these as I'd like to restore/complete it.

Very similar to the photo attached (Sorry, my camera battery is charging).

Now for the questions...
- Would the brass safety pin be original to a Mills No.36 M Mk1?
- Does anyone know who is "WML"?

Thanks!
Brad

Attachments

• No36mWML.jpg
    No36mWML.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 42
Hi Brad,

i would guess that the maker could be William Mills Ltd. If it is then i reccon its a WW1 gren with the brass filler and pin. Mind you, ime probably wrong.

What is the centre tube made from? If its aluminium then i think it would confirm that its WW1.
Nice gren.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It has a zinc centre tube, marked "Z".
The casting looks like a British Mills No.36M Mk1.
...this one has the "shellac" sealant (36M), it's not bare cast iron (36)
...the red X's are high on the casting (in line with the filler plug) and the green filler band is around the middle of the casting (not below)

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that the 36M was WW2 and the No.36 Mk1 was late WW1?

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
Hi Brad,
Dont think its a William Mills gren if its WW2. The No 36 M Mk1 came in during WW1, initially waterproofed for the Messopotamia campaign [M]. The No 36 was later discontinued and all grens became the M Mk 1. Dont know why they then didnt just call it the No 36 and be done with it.
The No 36 Mk 1 during WW1 had the top of the gren painted red to signify a live one with a central coloured band for the type of filling while the No 36 M Mk 1 had the red crosses with the centre band.
As for the maker, perhaps Norman or Tom could help here.

Andy

I'm not sure you know. I thought William Mills Ltd, was stamped as Mills Munitions Company (M.M.Co) on Mills grenades?
I can't find any reference to WML at the moment. I'll have a look at my Mills bombs when I get home and see if I have one.

If you had a first world war William Mills stamped grenade it would have been manufactured before April 1915. The William Mills company did operate in WW2 but, having given the advert with their name on to Tom, I cannot remember what they made (not grenades I expect).

WML was used by Wilson & Mathiesons Ltd of Leeds and contract papers list them as manufacturers of 36 grenades.

WML was not prolific a manufacturer of Mills bombs, but contract G/6884 in Feb. 1941, for example, was for 16,000.

(I'd say the brass split pin is an acquisition from elsewhere.)

Tom.

Last edited:
Thank you on one and all. It's truly amazing the amount of knowledge the BOCN members have and are willing to share!

Mills No. 36M Mk1, Marked WML for the maker "Wilson & Mathiesons Ltd." of Leeds
...contract G/6884 in Feb. 1941 was for 16,000.
I have a Mills No.5 that the brass split pin will do just fine on.

Thanks!
Cheers, Brad

Hi Andy,

Thanks for putting me straight. The time line of the development of the Mills Bomb has always been a mystery to me.
I've yet to find a definitive reference book dedicated to the Mills Bomb.
...one day!

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad,
Dont think its a William Mills gren if its WW2. The No 36 M Mk1 came in during WW1, initially waterproofed for the Messopotamia campaign [M]. The No 36 was later discontinued and all grens became the M Mk 1. Dont know why they then didnt just call it the No 36 and be done with it.
The No 36 Mk 1 during WW1 had the top of the gren painted red to signify a live one with a central coloured band for the type of filling while the No 36 M Mk 1 had the red crosses with the centre band.
As for the maker, perhaps Norman or Tom could help here.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for putting me straight. The time line of the development of the Mills Bomb has always been a mystery to me.
I've yet to find a definitive reference book dedicated to the Mills Bomb.
...one day!

Cheers,
Brad

Er...good luck! We should all chip in and write one ourselves. Probably be a lot quicker than looking for one that probably doesn't exist:tinysmile_cry_t3:

"...WML was not a prolific manufacturer of Mills bombs, but contract G/6884 in Feb. 1941, for example, was for 16,000."

Further to my earlier comment, the main finite contract let to Wilsons & Mathiesons, G/4355, in Feb. 1940 was for 600,000, which explains why it's a not such an uncommon casting to find. From late 1942 a dozen manufacturers were awarded continuous batch production, so the likes of Kenrick, IBR, Josiah Parkes, Davis & Brocklesby, Carron, etc, had production figures running into the millions...

Tom.

Last edited:
Hi John!

It came in by courier, all the way from Dieppe, New Brunswick to Ajax, Ontario. Only about 1450km.
A bit too far to drive, even for me. LOL

Cheers,
Brad