What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown mauser 7.92 case

adrinus

Hi there,
I found this cartridge case among many others of the same kind, on a remote ww1 battlefield. It seems to be a mauser 7.92 variation, but no markings are present and no primer.
The firing pin stroke is in the body of the case...

Attachments

• cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 52
Armourers round/Drill or training?
Very interesting item. assume it is same dimensions & profile as the WW1 one on the right?

Yes, same profile, same caliber as well. That is why I had them close together in that photo, for comparison purposes.
Armourers maybe, but I doubt it was a drill case, knowing it came from a former ww1 battlefield.

Believe me all sorts can turn up anywhere!!
You don`t stop learning, training or doing drills just `cos you`re at the front!

You are very right but these spent cases were found in a zone where the war was not static, actually it was a position stormed by the rapid advancing german army.
Of course there is a possibility of finding all sorts of ammo on a battlefield and believe me, I've seen some.
Forgive my stubborness...:tinysmile_fatgrin_t by I was also amazed by this find, in 5 years of wandering the battlefields....

No problem.
As I said interesting item in its own right & more so by where it was found.
I might have a spare reasonable condition WW1 7.92 stripper clip if you are interested?

7.92 x 57

Can we see a picture of the whole case please? Just looking at the base does not tell us much.

Does the rest of it appear normal?

Regards
TonyE

You are very kind Hicky, thank you. But I already have in my collection two types of ww1 german 7.92 stripper clips, and I see that someone is in bigger need. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:
Can we see a picture of the whole case please? Just looking at the base does not tell us much.

Does the rest of it appear normal?

Regards
TonyE

Sure thing Tony, here they are.
It is quite broken (rocky area) but you will get the idea.

Attachments

• ce 007.jpg
    ce 007.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 22
  • ce 008.jpg
    ce 008.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 17