What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Mk II Gren

Manufacturors

I have just an idea for this "BB" marking.
I'm not about history of the Mk II grenade, but should it not be possible that it was made by another country as United States under license or patented, like Canada or other.
And that the "BB" marking the mark is of a manufacturor other than US ?

What are you thinking of it ?

Yoda

I have just an idea for this "BB" marking.
I'm not about history of the Mk II grenade, but should it not be possible that it was made by another country as United States under license or patented, like Canada or other.
And that the "BB" marking the mark is of a manufacturor other than US ?

What are you thinking of it ?

Yoda

Hi Yoda, Miguel is right, we did not need help producing grenades during WW2 :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

BB marked grenades were for sure made here in the USA, it is just one of the unknown makers. Actually I think quite a common maker mark. I have seen many BB early yellow and the later yellow overpainted green grenades.

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Hi Yoda, Miguel is right, we did not need help producing grenades during WW2 :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Regards, Steve

But you need to remember that the MKII was used long after WWII, and by many other countries, especially within NATO. Don't forget the Korean War, etc.

While doing training activities in 1998 I saw cases and cases of MKIIs in then current storage bunkers in Italy, stacked right alongside Milan missiles.

Yes, but not in yellow colour. A yellow painted MKIIAI means without discussion that it is a WWII grenade. Cases and cases.... ahhhhhh.

But you need to remember that the MKII was used long after WWII, and by many other countries, especially within NATO. Don't forget the Korean War, etc.

While doing training activities in 1998 I saw cases and cases of MKIIs in then current storage bunkers in Italy, stacked right alongside Milan missiles.

Hi, not sure exactly what you are trying to say here, but cases and cases of MkII's!!! nice! Too bad you could not open the cases and examine what was inside. Maybe a collectors dream. Do you have any photos or these cases, or was it restricted to take photos at this time?

Regards, Steve