What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown NO? MK? mills bomb !

Panzerknacker

I have this mills bomb money box ! unsure if its a no23 mk1 or what it is ! its more like the no23, theres no slot under the leaver like on the later no36 ! the top has a step in it where the pin goes, the filler is wrong and its base plug, leaver & pin is also missing !
so just wondering no: mk: ? there is one stamp letter: B thats it !
thanks P.N

Attachments

• DSC01237.jpg
    DSC01237.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01238.jpg
    DSC01238.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01239.jpg
    DSC01239.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01236.jpg
    DSC01236.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01246.jpg
    DSC01246.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi bud,

its either a No5 body or a No 23. Might have come originally with a lever, might not have, sorry, ime not sure. Its also possible that the base threads may have been ground down a little to accept a tin lid to act as a plug. I gather a lot were made and sold to the general public during WW1 to boost War funds and to use up surplus castings after the war.

Andy

Panzerkancker, I saw a very similar Mills at a show here that was labeled that it was a NO23. I don't positively know for sure, but this one was labeled as such. Dano

I have an identical one of these. The filler plug is just a thin metal disc (which will pop out quite readily) and the base hole had a double skinned disc with a rim pushed into it (looked a bit like the plug from a self heating food can), the base thread was ok. Mine was also missing the lever and pin. I have fitted a No.5 brass base plug, one of 'Dug Ups' repro brass filler plugs a correct lever and detonator pin with split pin and ring. I've kept the original bits that came with it and have retained the coin slot. The body of the grenade has the letter S cast into the lower front and an A on the lower rear.
I dont think there is any difference between a No.5 and No.23 casting?

Last edited:
Just been looking this one up in Skennerton's grenade book,there are minor differences of the castings between the No5 & 23,it also mentions that there was a No5 Mk 2 but Quote "One or two references are made of a Mk 2 version of the No 5 grenade,but no specific details of the same appear" Unquote perhaps you have one of these?
Cheers Tony

It's probably one of the 'money box Mills' sold off post war to dispose of the vast numbers of grenades held. It was most likely to be a No 23 as the No.5 virtually ceased to exist after Jan 1917. All Mills from that date were either No23's or from August 17 23 MkIII / 36's.

John

Its going to sell for loadsa wonga though. Picked one up at Beltring for 15 quid, zakly the same.

Andy

...the No.5 virtually ceased to exist after Jan 1917.

John

Apart of course from the nearly four million No.5 which had been supplied to the French, and at the time of the Armistice were at the Gaillon depot, in the process of being upgraded to No.36 status (7 sec igniter, gas check, and new base plug) and returned to the British.

T