What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Ordnance?

Can someone please help me identify these objects. Not so sure what they are. Originally thought to be flares, but can not verify. They were found in a basement in the floor joists.

Markings on teh side, "No 233 TPL MK 1 PC 1945"

I think that the writing on the bottom edge says, "Please return to B.O.K.P., K. ?"

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 88
Welcome to the wonderful world of BOCN

Welcome to BOCN davecooksaturkey. I don't know what you have there but just wanted to say hello and Welcome..Dano

Maybe bangalors

may this are this bangalores to slide under this barbed wires to blow them of ???

best regards David

Can someone please help me identify these objects. Not so sure what they are. Originally thought to be flares, but can not verify. They were found in a basement in the floor joists.

Markings on teh side, "No 233 TPL MK 1 PC 1945"

I think that the writing on the bottom edge says, "Please return to B.O.K.P., K. ?"

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

I dont want to steal LCplCombat's thunder on this - he is the expert but typically tubes like this are for internal packages in larger, usually steel, ammunition boxes. The Container No 233 was used to hold Cartridge QF, 6Pr 7-cwt HV., APCBC shot. There were four in a Box C320 Mk 1. There would be other configurations.

I dont want to steal LCplCombat's thunder on this - he is the expert but typically tubes like this are for internal packages in larger, usually steel, ammunition boxes. The Container No 233 was used to hold Cartridge QF, 6Pr 7-cwt HV., APCBC shot. There were four in a Box C320 Mk 1. There would be other configurations.

Thank you all responces. It is much appreciated.

Would "QF" mean quick fire and would this be a case for an artillery gun cartridge? I would assume that if the cartridge is no longer residing inside the container then the container itself is safe.

Dave

Thank you all responces. It is much appreciated.

Would "QF" mean quick fire and would this be a case for an artillery gun cartridge? I would assume that if the cartridge is no longer residing inside the container then the container itself is safe.

Dave

It would in both cases Dave (as long as they are empty). Although they are not ammunition items as such, consolation should be that they are probably a lot rarer than the contents! [ A view that will not be shared by
others :tinysmile_shy_t:]

Last edited: