What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown projectile

orpheus72

Premium Member
Hello, I've found this one this week, but can't identify it.

I have no idea of it's country of origine, but could be supposably Belgian or German seen it's finding place (Belgium).

The point is made from solid aluminum, the body is steel and the tail is made from hollow aluminum
There are no markings on it

Diameter of the body is 63,58 mm
Diameter of the tail exterior is 35 mm
Diameter of the tail inner is 25 mm
Tip length is 130 mm
Body length is 100 mm
tail length is 160 mm

Attachments

• unkn1.JPG
    unkn1.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 28
  • unkn2.JPG
    unkn2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 31
  • unkn3.JPG
    unkn3.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 21
Unknown Projo

Hi Orpheus,

So to see, I should say that it is the projectile of a Practice 105 mm APDS-T.

What Yoda said, you have the core of a Target Practice Disgarding Sabot Tracer projectile M724/A1 for a 105mm Tank Gun. Your projectile should not have the long aluminum rod on the back. It should only have a button that protrudes about 3/4 inch. Your projo is unfired, so it might have been used in a wind tunnel test or something like that, or just screwed with by someone.

Your piece is shown in red in the attached Drawing. It is 1960s technology, Vietnam era.

Attachments

• 105mm TPDS-T Core.jpg
    105mm TPDS-T Core.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 105mm TPDS-T M724 Round.jpg
    105mm TPDS-T M724 Round.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
What Yoda said, you have the core of a Target Practice Disgarding Sabot Tracer projectile M724/A1 for a 105mm Tank Gun. Your projectile should not have the long aluminum rod on the back. It should only have a button that protrudes about 3/4 inch. Your projo is unfired, so it might have been used in a wind tunnel test or something like that, or just screwed with by someone.

Your piece is shown in red in the attached Drawing. It is 1960s technology, Vietnam era.

Thanks to all
I already tought the aluminum rod was not original, as on the end of the head, i could see burned residue on it and did not see this inside the rod.

So most likely i'm going to remove the rod, to restore it to normal.