What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Projectile

EODGUY

I have had this for quite some time and have not been able to identify it. It is about 17 1/2 inches (440mm) long and 3 1/2 inches (88 mm) in diameter. A lot of markings but they have not helped me in identification.

Attachments

• Unknown proj cutaway.jpg
    Unknown proj cutaway.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Unknown proj 2.jpg
    Unknown proj 2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Unknown proj 3.jpg
    Unknown proj 3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 182
Evening EOD,

By the taking a first look at it, (especially at the cut away) It seem to me that you got a Projectile HEER (HE, Extended Range), as the wall of the proj. get thinner as it goes toward the nose. The shape is particular as well, as it's less bulky like normal proj. Instead, its more linear, more aerodynamic. And you got a space or cavity for a BBU (Base Bleed Unit) under the driving band. We do have in the Cdn Forces, a 105mm C132 HEER version of it. The cavity below the driving band is filled up with propergol cast composite propellant, which is a gas generator. The gas generated fills the wake at the base of the projectile thereby reducing the base drag and increasing the projectile range.
Note on the marking... I noted that all of your marking is stamped, not paint and near the driving band it is marked FES which should indicate iron rotating band (if my memory is good) which is marked on most of German proj. that I seen so far. And you mention that the diameter is 88mm... So I was thinking maybe German 8.8cm flak or artillery. I checked in what I have for German ref's and could not find anything related too or about it. Then again I'm kind of limited in ref's. So maybe this could put you on a new track... if you did not already went that way that is !?! lol...
Hope I have been in any help
Cheers.
FCAT.

I think also its from ww2 German more like 10,5 cm Triebspiegel geschosse (SABOT).
There some in the TM9-1985

Sorry Madbomber, but it's not possible,
the 10,5 cm Treibspiegel have the driving band on the sabot, not on the projectile.

Yoda

Attachments

• 10,5 cm Treibspiegel-01.JPG
    10,5 cm Treibspiegel-01.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 37
Since it is 88mm and marked FES, it would seem that it is German. WHat is the thread pitch and diameter of the fuze? Does it match German designs?

John, I don't have a thread gauge at hand right now. I have always thought it was German but could never pin it down. At one time I am sure it had a bore riding sabot about half way up the ogive. There are two deep grooves in the body that in my mind would serve no purpose other than holding on a sabot. The fuze itself is small. About 1.52 inches (38mm) in diameter and 3.56 inches (90mm) overall length. The exposed length is about 3 inches (76mm). The stampings on the body are also strange to me. This to me is obviously a test round because all of the markings appear handstamped in the metal in a somewhat hap-hazard manner. The black paint is a re-paint, but it was done a long time ago I think.

Perhaps its a trick of the light, but that doesn't look like a sintered iron driving band - is it magnetic?

BD

Found this drawing in a UK document from 1946 on german ammo found at Hillersleben.

Attachments

• Dscf9165.jpg
    Dscf9165.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for the drawing and all of the information provided by everyone. The drawing is a very close match. I suspected it was German, but had no references that came close to the design. As usual BOCN has the answer!

Thanks to everyone's input and my finding one drawing in my files I have put this one to rest. I have over 600 linear feet of ordnance documentation and this page was buried in a place it shouldn't have been. Too bad the sabot got lost along the way.

Attachments

• 8.8-7.6mm proj.jpg
    8.8-7.6mm proj.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 36