What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown projectile??????

506thBoB

I recently aquired this projectile at a local yard sale. It's 8-1/2 inches long, 3-1/2 inches in diameter and weighs just over 18 pounds. Sorry, I don't know the metric system. It looks to be made out of solid steel or iron. I would be interested to know if anyone can tell me it's age, origin and rarity. Thank you, 506thBoBProjectile (2).jpgProjectile (3).jpgProjectile.jpg

It looks like a projectile but I think it odd as there is no evidence of any driving band, although you seem to have a Tracer cavity-ODD !
My guess is that it is fairly old.

Hi ,

Whatever it is looks like it might have been cut off above the driving band,seem to be saw marks on the base?

cheers
Bob

It looks like a 25 pounder AP -T shot thats been cut off at the driving band.
Fred

Good Morning All;
American Civil War projectiles were made of cast iron, not steel. Tracers had not entered the scene yet and this object has no apparent rotating system??
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
The diameter of the round and look of the tracer cavity would make it very simmilar to the US WW2 90mm AP but the absence of the driving band is rather confussing,
Best Weasel.

Could this be a reject or sneak-out from a factory? Perhaps the tracer cavity was drilled before the driving band recess was cut. This may have been scrapped or sneaked away before this could happen.