What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown, sectioned 30MM APDS-T Round with unusual primer.

apfsds

Premium Member
Received this interesting INERT sectioned 30MM APDS-T round in a trade with a good friend last week. Not really sure what country made it or what it was type classified as? The forward end of the projectiles sabot is fairly wide and it has a primer that I have not seen before. Would love to know more about it if anyone has a clue.

Attachments

• 30A_zps3cd47151.jpg
    30A_zps3cd47151.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 30D_zpsb093fec3.jpg
    30D_zpsb093fec3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 30E_zps17b49ec7.jpg
    30E_zps17b49ec7.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 30G_zps94c7a1d9.jpg
    30G_zps94c7a1d9.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Jason,

I assume this is 30x173mm Oerlikon KCA with a green anodized aluminum case and not a GAU-8. It appears as if the case was anodized after sectioning.
Percussion (?) primer with flash tube, typically tried/used to improve or provide a more uniform ignition. Is it a "dummy" primer?

30 x 173mm Oerlikon http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/14197-30x172 has a similar primer flash tube but this is an electric primer.

Brian

Last edited:
Something to take a look at on flash tube seals in 30mm case (30 x 113mmB) primers: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a424411.pdf

"Various 30-mm ammunition use a flash tube (figures 1 and 2) to augment the ignition stimulus of
the primer and to provide an ignition source for the propellant bed in each round. The flash tube
must be fast acting, provide abundant hot gases/particles, and increase the pressure in the
propellant bed sufficiently so that the initial burn rate of the propellant in the bed is high enough
to propel the projectile to the muzzle within the few milliseconds that constitute the action time
of the cannon."

Attachments

• flash tube.png
    flash tube.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I assume this is 30x173mm Oerlikon KCA with a green anodized aluminum case and not a GAU-8.

What makes you think that, Brian? The KCA was an aircraft gun which would have had no use for saboted projectiles. And AFAIK KCA ammo was all steel-cased.

I would assume that this was developed either for use in the GAU-8 in its naval CIWS application or (more likely) for the Mauser MK30 which is used in both AA and AFV mountings.

Thanks guys for the help. Tony, there was a small sticker label on it that said Mauser attached to it. I thought it was there by mistake as I always thought a Mauser was a small arms rifle :) I was not aware that they made 30mm ammunition and gun systems. THANK YOU!

Jason

They do not make the ammunition, just guns as they did during WWII already. Some of the most sophisticated systems like the WWII revolver type MK213 (20mm/30mm - on this gun all ADEN/DEFA guns are basing) and today the BK27 (27mm) and other types like the recoilless RMK30 (30mm - project ceased I think).