What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown"Shell Case"

Bockscar

Hi Guys,

Take a look at these pictures of a "Shell Case" that I have had in my collection for some years now...after all this time I still have not got an I/D on it so I thought I would see if any of my fellow BOCN'ers could shed any light on it! I finally bought this one after looking at it for a number of weeks down at the local flea market....at first glance it looks like an ordinary shell case with its straight body and rimmed base, but closer inspection reveals that the base is soldered in position - this also applies to the boss that forms the primer location. The body appears to be thin brass tubing, as does the tube that forms the "primer".
Overall the case is 9" long and 3" in diameter over the body, the rim is .250" thick and measures 3.375" in diameter. The tubular "primer" inside the case measures 1.375" long and is soldered to the base The only headstamps that you see give no indication to the Gun or caibre etc'.

Myself? - I think it may be either a prototype mockup or else a tool for setting tooling for manufacturing...but then again!

Over to you guys!
Hope you all had a great time!

Bockscar.

Attachments

• Shells2 013.jpg
    Shells2 013.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Shells2 018.jpg
    Shells2 018.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Shells2 017.jpg
    Shells2 017.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 119
Tool setting gauge ?

Bit of a shot in the dark but I reckon it may be a "toolsetters" gauge for aligning the "dies" in the drawing press to make the cartridge cases whatever they may be !

I see where the engine starter cartridge is coming from but I reckon the case would be drawn for strength rather than built up like this one is...I am more inclined to go with idea of it being some sort of gauge as suggested.