What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown submunition?

ogreve

Hi,

Does anyone recognise the item shown in the attached pictures?
It has a 22mm diameter and approximately 185mm length. It has 4 thin steel fold-out fins, which seem to be perpendicular to the body, rather than at an angle, so I don't think it would have given any spin. It also unscrews.
It somehow looks like a practice submunition, coming from a bomb or so...

Anyone any idea?

Cheers!
Olafo

Attachments

• 22mm_subcaliber_1s.jpg
    22mm_subcaliber_1s.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 22mm_subcaliber_2s.jpg
    22mm_subcaliber_2s.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 22mm_subcaliber_3s.jpg
    22mm_subcaliber_3s.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 22mm_subcaliber_4s.jpg
    22mm_subcaliber_4s.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 28
Sub caliber

I don't know the exact model, but you have a subcaliber projo for a practice subcal rockt launcher.

For the LAW

It is the SUB-CAL for the LAW rocket M72 Trainer. I am not sure of the nomenclature off the top of my head but I will look and see what I can dig up

Joe

jvollenberg,

Acording to the LAW Manual in front of me, it is not a sub-cal rocket for the the LAW. But it is definately another practice round for another device.

As described. Its been around for about 20 years, there are many variations, but all are basically the same. The carrier was also made in 60mm and 4.2-inch, not sure about 120mm (US) for this subcal.

Attachments

• TM 43-0001-28 Artillery Ammunition 409.jpg
    TM 43-0001-28 Artillery Ammunition 409.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 81mm Sub-Caliber.jpg
    81mm Sub-Caliber.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0170.jpg
    DSC_0170.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 25
US Subs is correct. The mortar is manufactured by Nico and there are/were a few companies that manufactured the subcal projectile.

You can find the info in TM 9-1315-249-12

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your help and ID!
I wouldn't have guessed this to have been used in a mortar!
Very interesting info, and it's also interesting to read that there were various variations of it.

Thanks again: case closed! :)

Cheers,
Olafo