What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Training Grenade... Mills??

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone identify this training grenade?

I ran across what has been described as a "Pineapple Grenade Trainer" in a local shop. It resembles a mills bomb, however, the shape is a little odd for a Mills.

Does anyone know what type of training grenade this is?

Attachments

• Unknown Trainer 1.jpg
    Unknown Trainer 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Unknown Trainer 2.jpg
    Unknown Trainer 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi bud,

i reccon it could be based on a Mills. Probably made for the Home Guard in WW2 by a local blacksmith as a platoon training aid and throwing practice. I have a couple of similar examples. Nice find and well worth collecting in my mind.

Andy

Hi
-terra cotta Grenade N36 found in country North France
-Plastic N36 found near Dunkerque in old house

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 36 1.jpg
    36 1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 26
Hmmm,i agree with Spott here.
That one on the right looks rather modern day made to me?

regards

waff

Hi all,
here are 3 more 'training grens' i have picked up over the years.
First on the left i believe to be a WW1, could be wrong but it has the correct 'patina' of age to it. The second, central one i am sure is a WW2 Home Guard version of the 36, probably made by a local blacksmith. The 3rd, right hand one is a bit more unusual, again WW2 i think, but made of a zinc alloy or similar and filled with lead to give it some weight. It is a bit pitted but easily recogniseable as based on the 36. Quite heavy too,
I am well into Mills training/drill grens from both WW1 and WW2.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture328.jpg
    Picture328.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 31
Heres a 1st WW practice No5 made of rubber. It has a large phosphor bronze ball bearing inside to give it a bit of weight. It's had a hard life as it is very deformed now.:tinysmile_cry_t4:
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page5RubberMills.jpg
    Page5RubberMills.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16