What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown WW1 French 3,7cm POM POM

ehre_treue

account suspended
_DSC0006.jpg_DSC0007.jpg_DSC0008.jpg_DSC0009.jpg_DSC0014.jpg_DSC0013.jpg_DSC0010.jpg_DSC0012.jpg_DSC0011.jpg

This was one of a pair of projectiles I purchased in Belgium. I was told this was designed by the French as a Flak round to shoot down Zeppelins.

Can anyone confirm this, or give me more details. In all my years of collecting it is the first I have ever seen. Are these truely that rare?

They are indeed French "Flak" projectiles. They are rare in good quality, this quality is seen often in Belgium on fairs. I think a big pile of them was found a few years ago. Still a nice item!

I have seen them on fairs selling for ~ 65 to 75 euro's. I think this is a bit high for such a round.

Do you know what reference book they can be found in? I would like to obtain any documentation I can on the item. Do you know where I can get more?

I have seen this projectile in other cases. Does anyone know if it was used in the French naval 37x277R M1925+gun? And what colour should be projectile be?

It was issued in the 37x95 case size for the Aircraft Cannon in the Spad and is listed for the Revolving (Hotchkiss- seems kind of long for the feed to me, the reference is regarding "Ariel" use for or against I'm not sure, will enquire ?) Cannon and was also loaded into the 37x202 case as used in aircraft etc. (1918 issue listings) The book on the subject, volume two is in the works that should show this. Images show the family relations, I think this is my latest version of this.

The reference does indicate use as Anti Aircraft, while under the Revolving Cannon heading it may more likely refer to the rapid fire single shot cannon of the same caliber and year.

Attachments

• DshellsPg1.jpg
    DshellsPg1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DshellsPage2.jpg
    DshellsPage2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: