What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown WWI (?) bomb

nachtwuenscher

Premium Member
Hi folks,
i recently got my hands on a nice bomb presumably from WWI. I would be very glad if you could help me with the identification. Using google image search I could figure out that the museum in the Fort de la Pompelle has exactly the same bomb in its exhibition (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerofossile2012/3442213468/) that's why i think it's authentic. The measures are: height 40cm (incl. fins) 35cm body only; diameter of body: 8cm.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Unbekannt.jpg
    Unbekannt.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Unbekannt (1).jpg
    Unbekannt (1).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Unbekannt (2).jpg
    Unbekannt (2).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Unbekannt (3).jpg
    Unbekannt (3).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 42
Go look at my gallery, since a picture is because the bomb hanging from the ceiling

Hi Fusse2004,
thanks for your answer. I also know the pictures of this bomb at your website where this item is declared as 10kg bungsbombe. Nevertheless, the bomb weighs only about 4kg, and assuming a load of 400ccm TNT, black powder or picric acid this would only add 1 additional kg. Thus, there are 5kg missing. Furthermore, the german bombs from this time (as far as i know) looked quite different (different fins and body shape). Additionally, the fact that this bomb is in a french exhibition suggests that it might not be an exercise bomb (I dont think that the Germans were practicing bombing directly at the western front) or that it is not german. I would be very grateful if you could provide some technical documentation or a contemporary picture of this type of bomb in use.

Hello! In Verdun museum is the same bomb! Besides a PuW bomb! described as German 10kg practice bomb. Even in the 1 Weldkrieg one has the mound mssen.Ich practice have no other info about it.

Hi doctor,
this keyword helped finding an auction from spring 2012 where it is called "OBUS BOMBE D AVION D' ENTRAINEMENT VAUZOU". Google image search revealed several other pictures unfortunately behind a login of another military forum. So it seems to be french. The only thing I dont understand is why it's 10kg although weighing just around 5kg...

OUPS Sorry I've make a mistake it's 6 kg , not 10 kg
And sure it's french school bomb WW2 not WW1

Thanks again. I should have asked before buying since I'm into WWI stuff. So, I will learn from this. The only confusing thing is why they put it in the Fort de la Pompelle (and according to Fusse2004 also in the Verdun) museum.

Hi
I visited many museums and each time of many errors appeared such as reassembled hybrid ammunition, machines badly located in the history time or even sometimes of the false assertions completions following " I saw that and it is good " where as reality is totaly different
I've the same school bomb as your picture ;=) and there is an other school bomb Vauzou weighted 38 kgs