What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unkown 20mm projectile

orpheus72

Premium Member
The projectile is made of steel or iron (magnetic), covered with a hard, O/D plastic. Even the drive belt is plastic.
It's weight is 120,5 gr.

I believe it is a Target Practice projectile for the 20x139 from Germany, but i can't confirm it.

Does anyone has more info on this projectile?

Thanks,
Geert.

Attachments

• projectile.jpg
    projectile.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 58
Hi Geert,
it`s a Break-Up projectile made by NWM for the 20x139 cannon as used by the German armed fources.
Inside the plastic jacket is pressed iron `dust` / powder. When the projectile leaves the barrel, the projectile breakes up (due to the cuts made by the grooves in the barrel) and the iron dust is released.
So the weapon has normal recoil, but the danger area in front of the barrel in increased very much in comparance with an ordinary TP projectile.
I have an original NWM factory brochure describing the Break-Up projectiles for you if you like.

Regards, Cornman

Hi Geert,
it`s a Break-Up projectile made by NWM for the 20x139 cannon as used by the German armed fources.
Inside the plastic jacket is pressed iron `dust` / powder. When the projectile leaves the barrel, the projectile breakes up (due to the cuts made by the grooves in the barrel) and the iron dust is released.
So the weapon has normal recoil, but the danger area in front of the barrel in increased very much in comparance with an ordinary TP projectile.
I have an original NWM factory brochure describing the Break-Up projectiles for you if you like.

Regards, Cornman

Hi Cornman,

Thanks for the complete explanation of the projectile.

I would love to have that NWM factory brochure (or a copy) to complete the documentation on my collection.

Thanks,
Geert.

No, no copy! I`ll hand you over the original one. I`ll put it together with the 20mm MN40 and give them to you at the Landhorst fare!

Cornman

No, no copy! I`ll hand you over the original one. I`ll put it together with the 20mm MN40 and give them to you at the Landhorst fare!

Cornman

Ah i got it :tinysmile_twink_t2: . Thanks pall.
I'll let you know wich fare(s) i'm attending this year.

I don't know if you already have one of these, but i got two of them.
So i have one in spare if you're interested.

Geert.

Thanks for the offer Geert, but I have two types of 20x139 break up rounds in my collection and one of them is like yours. Type of the one you have is actually a DM78A1.
Again,thanks for the offer anyway!

Cornman