What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unmarked 105mm projectile.

DEADLINE222

I have an unmarked 105mm howitzer projectile. It has a small area of pitting where nomenclautre stamping could have once been, or it was manufactured, unmarked.

Could this lead to the type the projectile is being unmarked?

I have a fascination with pre-war ordnance, as I hear/see that they were painted yellow until the war when they went to olive drab for camoflage. I have not seen many pictures of projectiles painted in this manner, but I have seen several bomb casings.

I have searched to the best of my knowledge for any pre-war 105mm howitzer rounds, but I see that the M1 howitzer started production in 1941. Late or early of 1941; I do not know.

Is it possible that there were solid yellow, with black nomenlature stenciling, 105mm howitzer projectiles in service before they started painting everything olive drab?

I would paint the projectile as an M1, but I see that this round is fairly common, and I do not want to spend the time painting it, and find an actual stamped M1 next week.

Also, concerning the M1 and the "possible" pre-war M1; did/could either of these projectiles ever had the code ie. "SIICA" as found on 500 pound general purpose bombs?

The reason I ask, is because I have a untouched, 155mm M101 projectile that retails all of it's original paint. It has that aformentioned code I gave an example of, but it's is "SHEIA", I believe.

Whoo. I know. If any of you do not follow -feel free to advise me. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

The color change was in 43, there were plenty of yellow projos prior to that.

Awesome.

Would the nomenclature stenciling on a pre-color change look like the post-color change, with the exception of colors?

The 105mm Howitzer began testing in 1929. A few projectiles exist from back then.

Awesome.

Would the nomenclature stenciling on a pre-color change look like the post-color change, with the exception of colors?

Hard to say, I've never paid that much attention. Stencilling changed periodically, just like everything else. You need to find some of the stencilling TMs, a Handbook of the Gun for pre-1940 rounds or perhaps some differently dated TM9-1900/1901 to make the comparisons.

Hard to say, I've never paid that much attention. Stencilling changed periodically, just like everything else. You need to find some of the stencilling TMs, a Handbook of the Gun for pre-1940 rounds or perhaps some differently dated TM9-1900/1901 to make the comparisons.

Copy that.

I have looked at both of the aforementioned documents with no luck.

I don't recall seeing the TMs on BOCN, so here is the link for those who are interested. http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Manuals/index.html