What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual 40mm L60 Bofors Rounds

EODGUY

Here are a couple of unusual 40mm Bofors items that I thought someone might like to see. The upper one is the T2 spiral wrapped steel case loaded with a Mark 2 Mod 1 projectile. No primer and unfortunately it has no headstamp. The lower one is an experimental round, or the biggest "wildcat" hunting load you could want. The projectile is the M99 TP. The projectile is dated 1946 and the case 1944, but that really does not mean much. This was loaded for a test, if I recall in the early 60's to develop a high velocity gun system. Somewhere I have a report talking to this loading and the fact they first loaded the 20mm frangible TP projectile. The stress on firing was so great that the only thing that left the muzzle and went down range was the rotating band and a spray of powder. Then they went to the steel body M99 for obvious reasons. Initially they still had some over pressure problems though because the first firings reportedly blew the projectile right out of the rotating band and they both went tumbling merrily downrange. Oh, the joys of experimental range work!

Attachments

• 40mm Bofors uniques.jpg
    40mm Bofors uniques.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 188
40mm Bofors Rounds.

I really like the one in the bottom of the picture-the 20mm experimental! Ive got three nice Bofors rounds in my own collection one 40-mm Drill which was a vet bring back from Malaya, a standard AP and a really nice complete unfired but inert HE in superb condition dated 1943. They make great display pieces and i thought those in your pic were cracking nice items-im envious as i want em!!!! Regards, Tim.

Here are a couple of unusual 40mm Bofors items that I thought someone might like to see. The upper one is the T2 spiral wrapped steel case loaded with a Mark 2 Mod 1 projectile. No primer and unfortunately it has no headstamp. The lower one is an experimental round, or the biggest "wildcat" hunting load you could want. The projectile is the M99 TP. The projectile is dated 1946 and the case 1944, but that really does not mean much. This was loaded for a test, if I recall in the early 60's to develop a high velocity gun system. Somewhere I have a report talking to this loading and the fact they first loaded the 20mm frangible TP projectile. The stress on firing was so great that the only thing that left the muzzle and went down range was the rotating band and a spray of powder. Then they went to the steel body M99 for obvious reasons. Initially they still had some over pressure problems though because the first firings reportedly blew the projectile right out of the rotating band and they both went tumbling merrily downrange. Oh, the joys of experimental range work!

NICE!. Can you do me a favour and take a photo of the headstamp on the 20x311. I'd like to compare it to see if its the same or if they just picked up the nearest bofors case when they necked them down - see link also.
Ta,
Dave.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/bofors-20x311-t22889.html?t=22889&highlight=20x311

40/20mm Headstamp

Dave,

It is my understanding that since these were basically hand-loaded during the program that cases and projectiles were not made from specific lots just for this program. It will be interesting to see if your headstamp is the same.

Attachments

• 40-20mm HS.jpg
    40-20mm HS.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 74
Hi, yes its identical, no primer either.
Not as clear stamping as your but I've attached photos anyway.
Stamping as follows:

GMS LOT 6
40mm
MK2
(anchor symbol)
TM8

Dave.

Attachments

• Bofors 20 x 311 headstamp 001.jpg
    Bofors 20 x 311 headstamp 001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Bofors 20 x 311 headstamp 002.jpg
    Bofors 20 x 311 headstamp 002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Bofors 20 x 311 headstamp 003.jpg
    Bofors 20 x 311 headstamp 003.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 28
Along came another one............same headstamp too, so that makes at least 3 with the same headstamp.
Dave.

Attachments

• New shells 045.jpg
    New shells 045.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 53
  • New shells 046.jpg
    New shells 046.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 40
For what it's worth, GMS is the maker's initials for Globe Machine & Stamping Co., Cleveland, Ohio.

Hi Dave,

Very nice rounds!!!
As to where you may find some more info on them: I'm quite certain I've seen them mentioned in Wim de Hek's books ("Military Cartridges") and/or in Tony Williams' Rapid Fire book.
At present a friend of mine is using most of the above mentioned books, so I don't have them handy, but let me know if you want me to take a look at them for more info.

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi Dave,

Very nice rounds!!!
As to where you may find some more info on them: I'm quite certain I've seen them mentioned in Wim de Hek's books ("Military Cartridges") and/or in Tony Williams' Rapid Fire book.
At present a friend of mine is using most of the above mentioned books, so I don't have them handy, but let me know if you want me to take a look at them for more info.

Cheers,
Olafo

Thanks Olafo, I have the De hek and Tony's books. The confusion with the De Hek book for me is that the photograph in the first book shows an ap/common pointed projectile and the line drawing shows a cored projectile.
The one EODGUY showed on this thread is a fuzed type as is one of mine which would tie in well with the idea that they are fuze test rounds. EODGUY mentions on this thread that he may have some more detail on these rounds so hopefully he'll be able to provide more information sometime.
Dave.