What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual French 37mm - Crayford?

Gspragge

The shell does not have a fuze in it (despite the marking on the side) and appears identical to the one in your diagram.

Well found.

John

Hello
This shell Mle 1892 is really make for test of sensibility base fuze on laboratory after fall calculate.
amitis
Andr Durieux

I thought I would add a little more information and pictures to this thread on what is an uncommon round. The pictures below show the projectile with it's base plug in and also removed. There is no provision for a fuze, and no need if this is an incendiary round.

DSCN6542.jpgDSCN6538.jpg

It would seem that precious few of these have been found to date, but I know of three that have been found with cases. All three of the cases were factory cut British 1pr Mk 1 cases dated 1916. These cases themselves are not common and I think it is too much of a co-incidence that this type of projectile ended up in this case. Picture of the case base is below.

DSCN6545.jpg

As a comparison, I have included a picture of the British 1pr Mk 111 case and standard 94mm case either side of the round in question.

DSCN6544.jpg

In the absence of any documentary evidence to the contrary, one possibility is that the cases were reworked by the French to trial this type of projectile as an anti-zeppelin, or anti-aircraft round, at the same time as the 1.59" Crayford was in its infancy. The base of the two projectiles are very similar.

D

Base plug

More to the point, the base plug in the projectile has been
cut back, from five threads to three threads. This eliminates
the fuze pocket in the base and allows the two flame holes to be drilled
and to be clear to function. Since the projectile is no longer an expoding
device the shorter base has no effect on function.

Attachments

• IMG_235.jpg
    IMG_235.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 16