What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual Japanese Pottery Grenade

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I've had hundreds of these over the years but I've never seen one with a makers or issue mark . Anyone else come accross one ? Mike.

mvc-525s.jpg

Mike. I have four or five ceramic grenades that have different maker markings. It seems about 20% of the ceramic types I encounter here in the States have markings. This same maker made the Ceramic type 3 mines as well. In the next few days I'ill try to post some pictures of different maker marked ceramic grenades. Ceramic grenades are very common but the marked types are worth getting.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)Yahoo.com

Jim . Thanks for your reply , most interesting . I shall look forward to seeing those other examples !

Various markings on ceramic grenades

Mike,
Sorry for the delay getting those pictures posted. Here they are. In my opinion these are the most commonly found marked ceramic grenades. I have reference on Japanese ceramic grenades but the entire text is in Japanese. Can't read a word of it. Someday I'll get that book translated. I took these pictures from old internet auctions.

The first four pictures are the most encountered marked grenade. The lot numbers vary. This maker also made many of the Ceramic type 3 mines. Every one of my ceramic mines have this same mark. The Fifth picture is a grenade with a scarce Bulls eye like marking. The sixth picture is a double character marked grenade. The seventh picture is a serrated ceramic type with an unusual wavy line marking. The eighth picture is an "A" marked Grenade for "Arita" (sp?). The last picture is a Type 3 mine hexagonal mark and lot number. Ceramic grenades are pretty common but the marked types are worth buying.

hope this helps.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Type 4 with common maker mark.jpgceramic grenade marking.jpginternacia2000-marked ceramic g 2.jpgtype 4 with varient common mark.jpgType 4 with different maker mark.jpgType 4 with unusual maker embossed mark.jpgtoukouenn-img3.jpgArita marked grenade bottom.jpgCeramic Type 3 mine Maker Mark & lot number.jpg

I don't own all of these but I do have grenades with the same markings.

Japanese Ordnance page: http://www.castle-thunder.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=976

Last edited:
Mike,
I Forgot to include this, this is the cover of that Ceramic weapons/grenades book. I got a copy, it has many illustrations and pictures. Once I get this translated it will be a great reference.

Jim

ceramic grenade reference book.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mean to change the direction of this thread, but I have a question that I think is somewhat related. I have the opportunity to purchase a grenade described on Lex's site here: http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/middleeastasia/japan/frangiblegrenade.html
T
he grenade for sale is what I believe to be a glass smoke grenade similar to the one at the bottom of the above web page. The grenade for sale is missing the cap on the glass bulb. It comes with the metal can but the can no longer has a label on it. Have any of you ever come across one of these? Are they common? It's not really the kind of grenade that strikes my fancy but if it's worth buying, I might as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have not seen these japanese vessels before. Have you any background info on their age, type of filling, fusing or fuzing a.s.o. Where could one find an actual sample here in Europe ?
Thanks,
Bellifortis.

Hallo JCB99,
thank you for the info. As I have absolutely no experience with valuating these articles, what is the price range from lowest to highest that these have run say, in the last year, according to your experience. Thanks in advance for your valued answer,
Bellifortis.

Japanese ceramic ordnance

Bellifortis, Prices vary and everyone has a difference of opinion about value. A damaged Type 4 ceramic grenade I believe is worth $40 to $50 tops. Undamaged white types without glaze $60 to $75. Ceramic types in different colors, Black, brown, tan, green and white glaze, $75 to $100 tops. Marked Ceramic grenades maybe as high as $125. I suggest not paying above $125 UNLESS its a rare serrated type. There are several types of serrated types that are rare in the West. Ceramic Type 4 grenades are common here in the U.S and Canada, the marked types are scarce and a fuzed ceramic grenade is quite rare. The cylindrical fuze housings are made from hard black rubber. Below is a picture of my Japanese ceramic WWII ordnance.

DSCF0296 2.jpg various japanese ceramic grenades 2.jpg DSCF0914 2a.jpg
Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)Yahoo.com

P.S. One of the best places to find inexpensive Japanese ceramic grenades is Yahoo Japan auctions.

Japanese Ordnance Page. (www.gunboards.com) http://forums.gunboards.com/album.php?u=5346

Last edited: