What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual practice bomb

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Picked up a couple new pieces this weekend. The main one appears to be a practice bomb, it seems familiar, but I cannot place it. Any help would be appreciated. The second is from an old "Spring" toy. Reminded me of Wichitaslumlord's pice, but a bit more recent. Couldn't resist.

Attachments

• DSCN1994.jpg
    DSCN1994.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN1992.jpg
    DSCN1992.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 187
The first one is a British WW1 practice, im not sure of the correct weight, hope its some where to start,,,,,,, Dave

No luck. It bears a strong resemblance to the WWI British 9lb Practice, but is much smaller (1-2lbs). I've been through all of my related documents with no joy. Anyone?

The second one kicks ass. I can remember riding that on the playground when I was a kid. They dont have cool stuff like that anymore. Politically incorrect and dangerous too. Many a child lost a tooth on that one,for sure.

Last edited:
100_1836.jpg100_1838.jpg100_1835.jpgI agree with Lou! If a child was seen on that or my JET MOBILE, S.R.S. would have the house surrounded and the child removed from such an environment. Pat

Last edited:
Hey was wondering if the bomb in question was ever IDed? I ran into an odd one in a box lot I bought and this thread is as close to anything I could find thats similar. Oh and not the riding toy,lol,wink wink...
,UnknownBomb 001.jpgUnknownBomb 002.jpgUnknownBomb 004.jpgUnknownBomb 005.jpgUnknownBomb 010.jpgUnknownBomb 011.jpg

Lou,
yours is Japanese, missing the red rubber nose cover. Still no ID on mine, though I've found a Brit piece that is very similar.

Well I'll be danged,,, I would have never thought Japanese. Thanks man.......

Cant say as Ive ever seen any information on Japanese bombs. Least I have a starting point now. And I'll have to go over it real careful with a loupe. The only markings I saw were the numbers stamped on the "plunger?".

Last edited:
It's naval, so there should be an anchor on it somewhere.

Here is a picture of a pretty one with a different sort of suspension lug. Only time I've seen it, but it seems to be original to the bomb. This practice bomb was the only off-the-shelf piece of air ordnance that the Japanese experimented at filling with bio at Unit 731 in northern China.

I'm slowly getting back to the Japanese handbook, I've got about a 60-70 pages on bombs. One of these days I'll finish it, just not sure what to do with it then.

D-O-BMB-JPN-003.jpg

That is absolutly fantastic. I dont see the suspention lug you mentioned in that photo???

Sorry, I was hurrying through the e-mail and should have checked my terms and what I was talking about better. This bomb did not have the standard lug typical of others of its kind, just like yours (and mine). It has only the side pin (safety?) which mine and most others are missing. From your photo it looks like yours has something?

Yeah the pin with the eyelet is a safety rod. The plunger has a firing pin and just above that is a groove on the plunger shaft that when everything is assembled,the safety slides into as is screws into the side of the cast part of the bomb. Theres also a sheer wire,that would hold the plunger in place after removing the safety pin. The "suspention lug" is attached to the sheet metal portion of the bomb with little rivits,I use something similar at work sometimes,we call it a D-ring,use them for hanging stuff. Pretty neet set up.
Looks like there are some parts missing though. Besides the rubber nose you mentioned,and what looks to be some kind of retaining ring to hold that rubber nose on,theres another indexed hole in the cast iron portion of the bomb that is aligned with the suspention lug,that most likely held another safety pin. Then theres booster stuff that seems to be gone.
I dont suppose youd have a section drawing would you???

UnknownBomb 029.jpgUnknownBomb 028.jpgSecondsafety.jpgUnknownBomb 021.jpg

I think so.... I can look when I get home tonight. There is probably a Brit document on it from Kirkee - they did good docs on everything seen in Burma. A pretty good selection of them is available here on the site - somewhere. You might look there while you're waiting.

Yeah Ive done a bit of that. Found a bunch of stuff on Scribed with great thanks to Mr Bougainville,but for some reason or another,just clicking on that site starts to lock up my computer. I am thankful he put so much time and effort into doing that,just for some damn reason I cant get to it. Frustrating and havent been able to figure out the problem yet.
So,does your little bomb operate in a similar way???? And,would a practice bomb be in Burma??? I would have thought that would be an active combat zone,well past the point of practicing for anything?

That's a good, point, I don't know. In the meantime I found a drawing in "Additions No. 4 to Japanese Bombs and Fuzes", so don't have to look.

Practice Bomb.jpg

Oh sweet,thats perfect. The extra safety is more than I thought.

Thanks Jeff,,,,

The blue one is the mock-up for Slim Pickins when he rode the bomb in Doctor Strangelove