What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual Training Mills

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi Guys,

just thought i would show you an unusual training Mills i have had in my collection for a while.

Its a No 36, no filler, just an empty space and has a screw in the striker hole. But for this, it is exactly the same as a drill gren but for the fact it has the gas check attached to the gren body and was made to be this way.

OK, its seen some use, both lugs snapped off at the back, been repainted gloss white over its original dull white and i reccon its been through a few Burns cups. The attached gas check is of the correct size.

I am considering stripping off the gloss paint and putting it through a derusting process and seeing what comes out.

All in all, an unusual one. To cap it all, just to wind you all up, 99p on eBay about 3 years ago.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture548.jpg
    Picture548.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture549.jpg
    Picture549.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture550.jpg
    Picture550.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 47
Blimey Andy that's an odd one. No base plug? does the screw in the top hold the gas check on? Could it be a Home Guard repair job?

John

Hi John,

its a solid one piece item, the gas check is part of the gren. It is in my mind, too well made an item to be Home Guard. The gren is just too good, albeit a bit battered. Ile show it to you when we meet soon.

Andy

Last edited:
Mills practice

Hi Andy, Most interesting piece to say the least. Yes, strip off the gloss white and find out what kies beneath. Great find...Dano

That's interesting Andy. It implies it was a non fired classroom aid. Logical if there are no add ons like lever, baseplug etc. Probably just used for placing in the Burn's cup? Probably scarcer than a normal training gren then.

John